Eastmans' "Big Man Challenge!"

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Just hit 13.5 on bike last night. Lots of long hills. Feeling it today, but should be ready for my hunt as I start the drive tomorrow (thursday). I'm pumped!

npaden

May 2, 2014
The local running club runs the Shallowater Stampede race the 2nd Saturday of September each year. I've run the 10K distance the last 3 years and it really works well getting me focused and ready for hunting season.

Last year I set the goal to run it faster than my age and snuck in with a 44:51 which was a 7:13 avg pace and beat my age of 45.

This year I just wanted to do better than last year and kind of set my target goal time at beating 44 minutes this year. I barely snuck in with a 43:58.3 which is a 7:05 average pace for 6.2 miles. That was 12th place out of about 80 or 90 runners.

Pretty happy with the fact that I'm getting in better and better shape even though I'm adding another year to my age. The progress isn't as dramatic as it had been when I first started, but still nice to be getting a little bit faster at least.

If you want all the boring details and splits and stuff like that you can read my race report on my blog.

http://padens.blogspot.com/2014/09/2014-shallowater-stampede-10k.html

My wife and son both ran the 2 mile race again this month and again we all finished in the top 3 of our age group and got medals.

The countdown clock is moving fast on my Wyoming hunts. Right now it's getting down to a mad scramble getting everything ready.

Hopefully it will all come together and I won't forget anything too important!

Reactions: HuskyMusky

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Guys felt great on our Elk hunt the past few weeks. Got down to the perfect weight and lost a few lbs while I was in Montana. Nothing like feeling physically and mentally fit for that hunt. Keep up the hard work. Mark

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Getting ready to start running in the mornings next week. I have been getting caught up this week since I was gone for two weeks!!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I'm with you 25C. I was surprised I only dropped about 3lb in the 6day off-grid adventure. Packed in 2,500ft up and 3 miles inward.
Awesome time and was successful.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I remember this quote was posted on the wall of the Marine Corps physical fitness center where I worked out over 40 years ago; "Physical fitness is transitory, it must be worked for continuously, and the only program of effective value is a lifetime one."
At 62, I find it's fairly easy to stay in shape, but a real bitch to get in shape. It helps to not have been a star athlete, as those injuries from your youth come back to haunt you in later life. Good work guys, and keep it up forever. Carpe Diem.

npaden

May 2, 2014
I'm back from my Wyoming mountain goat and elk hunts. I'm beat, tired and sore and that is with being in about the best shape of my life. I can't imagine if I wasn't in shape. I would have just not been able to do it I guess.

7 days of mountain goat hunting, only 37 miles on the boots, but in that country it was some pretty hard miles for the most part with the vast bulk of those miles being at 9,500' elevation or higher.

Only 3 real days of scouting and hunting for elk the way things worked out, ended up with 37 miles on horseback on that hunt with only 16 miles on foot, but had a TON of elevation gain in those 16 miles. I didn't do a good job of keeping up with it on my GPS on a daily basis, but the entire hunt had 52.16 miles logged on the GPS either on horseback or on foot with 14,943' of elevation gain. I missed about 1.5 miles where I forgot to turn the GPS on as well. The bulk of that elevation gain was on foot, some really steep stuff! Very physically demanding.

Got my goat and an elk. It's going to take a few days before I can post up the full hunt reports. Here's a couple pictures in the meantime for you fellow big man hunters.

Of course I have a 5K race coming up on Saturday and haven't run a step in 18 days so we will see if humping up and down those mountains will correlate to being able to run a good race or not. I'm happy with the results of the hunts regardless!

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Npaden What a great trip!! Glad to see you filled both your tags. Cant wait to read the write up. Mark

wyo-hntr

Jan 4, 2013
Powell, WY
Not a lot of posts from the time huntin season started till now...anyone still hitting it hard getting ready for next season? I myself stopped once hunting season started and let myself go through the holidays but started back up two weeks ago knowing that if I don't I'll pay for it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Not a lot of posts from the time huntin season started till now...anyone still hitting it hard getting ready for next season? I myself stopped once hunting season started and let myself go through the holidays but started back up two weeks ago knowing that if I don't I'll pay for it later.

I am working on something for this for this spring. Stay tune.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY

That is where I am at, too. I slacked off for a while and now it hurts a little to work out again, but its kindof a good hurt. I picked up all the weight I lost, so I am pretty much starting over. Oops. RICMIC's quote is one I need to remember.

wyo-hntr

Jan 4, 2013
Powell, WY
Yep I picked my weight back up too :/ takes forever to lose it and only very little to get it all back