Easiest to use cow call

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Tons of time to practice get them a diaphragm and a video to learn. That way they can use a bunch of sounds vs just a couple off a bite an blow or something else. Plus they are hands free

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
The push style, like a Primos Hoochie Mamma, I find very easy to use. It takes a hand so hunting as a pair no biggie. By yourself takes a bit of planning. A mouth call, probably harder to use, may be more practile. Plenty of tutorials on how to use are out there.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just last fall we brought in a couple of bulls ans some cows to a Hoochie mama. One of the bulls a smallish 6x6 came off of a hillside 600 yard away and came up to us before he spooked and ran off and when he took off so did the other cows.

Your problem is that when you are in the field it is no time to practice. Check out YouTube for some videos of calling and if you can get a CD or a tape on how to do it all the better.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
If I remember right the hoochie momma came out sometime in the mid 90's? They take no practice so every Tom, Dick & Harry has been walking around the woods chirping on one ever since. I'm sure they will still work sometimes as will the whistle out of an empty 30-06 casing. There are better options out there like gypsumreaper pointed out... YMMV.

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
try out the raging bull or mello yellow by bulging bull calls, single reed very easy to use excellent sound. go to the elk nuts webpage. He has excellent tutorials on how to use the calls and what the calls really mean

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
If I remember right the hoochie momma came out sometime in the mid 90's? They take no practice so every Tom, Dick & Harry has been walking around the woods chirping on one ever since. I'm sure they will still work sometimes as will the whistle out of an empty 30-06 casing. There are better options out there like gypsumreaper pointed out... YMMV.
It's not like the same elk from the 90's are stiill running around. My brother and I used one 2 years ago during his Sept. archery hunt in AZ. It worked like a charm.
I do think using 2 different cow calls that sound different works better than just one because it sounds like multiple cows.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
It's not like the same elk from the 90's are stiill running around. My brother and I used one 2 years ago during his Sept. archery hunt in AZ. It worked like a charm.
I do think using 2 different cow calls that sound different works better than just one because it sounds like multiple cows.
Yeah, I realize the same elk from the 90's aren't running around still. The point was this call has been around for so long and so many guys use them that I think it's lost its effectiveness. Obviously it still works for a few of you so great. Keep using it. I carried one around for probably 10 years and quit. I was just sharing my opinion based on experiences I've had in the elk woods.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Sceery cow call or primos cow girl. Both bite calls and work great. get a couple as they can have different tones and once they fill with spit they won't blow. Diaphrams are also good , as stated above no hands.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Spend more time understanding what they are saying. Then any call will work.
Tone, length and emphasis is more important than what type of call. There is one though, Primos Hyper Lip with tone converter that is the closest to the real thing. ( tested and compared to elk audio files)

Best 50$ you will ever spend is at Roe Hunting Resources. Do his Elk hunting modules.

Lastly, I'm not promoting Primos or Chris Roe. Just passing on what works as I have turned a handful of elk down every few years guys into elk down down every year gentlemen.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
deep breath, fill those lungs up, then slowly let some air out as your chin rises from your chest and say "mmmmmoooooooo" :) haha couldn't help it. bugling bull mouth reeds are my fav for all elk calling now.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
There was a time when elk would run to a hoochie momma call... now I think they run from it.
Exactly HiCntry....that's been my experience with cow calls in the last 10 years or so, they got educated real good. Everybody was using them. Now they're about useless.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Heck, my buddy and I once called in a 5x5 satellite bull while calling Moose with the old coffee can & wet clothesline rope trick. I guess sometimes they're just curious, that particular bull sure was.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I like the sleezy call mixed with mouth calls. Hoochie still sounds good mixed in but shouldn't be your only sound imo. Listen to a herd of elk- many different tones coming from a group. I feel this is similar to turkey- mix the sounds up for better results.