Eagle Cap Wilderness

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
If I draw my Mt Goat tag! :cool: Otherwise probably not this year but my son and I did a little in 2009 and had a great trip. Since we can hunt with a bow during gun season now I am buying a western deer rifle tag and hunting the Blacktail rut with my bow for a change of pace.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
If I don't draw anything out of state, will be going back. It is nice to see that country quite down after the big wave of people that flooded the area after Hanes made it popular. I have heard a few grumblings of wolves getting close to that area. Anyone hear the samething?

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
The Imnaha unit is starting to see wolves in the area. From there east to the Idaho border.
We are still seeing a lot of touristy types hiking and backpacking during the summer. They stay pretty much to the main trails, but there is still plenty of back country that they don't get to.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Perfect. Some of my CA tree huggers are going to be up on the hill to help us hunters out by hauling meat to our trucks. There goes the Wilderness Area's.

OR Archer

May 27, 2011
Eugene, OR
www.facebook.com
Drew my Colorado mule deer tag so I wont be venturing in to the Caps. Wolves have moved into the area we hunt and its made it a little more difficult. Saw a wolf in there in 09 and heard them the year before. Might be time to search out a new area in there.

Leveller

Jul 17, 2011
Oregon
Drew Minam unit tags again this year for muleys, so will be hunting amongst the buffalo again. Got in on them a couple of times last year and shot this video. Amazing experience. [video=facebook;10150275214430472]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150275214430472[/video] Also got some great close up footage of a really nice black bear, sadly on private land, but nevertheless a nice find [video=facebook;10150251392875472]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150251392875472&saved[/video]

Leveller

Jul 17, 2011
Oregon
Sadly not - I already inquired ;) They were originally a small head of 50 owned and on private land, fenced in. Not an easy animal to keep fenced in and they, needless to say, escaped and roamed the Eagle Caps public land freely for a long time. I heard recently on the news that ODFW plan to round them up, but I'm not sure who's planning on paying for buffalo-proof fencing. In the meantime if you plan on hunting the Eagle Caps, plan on seeing these guys, or expect a heart-racing moment as we did when you unexpectedly run in to them!

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I think they are fair game if they are on public land. They are not considered wildlife so in my mind they fall in the same category as feral swine. Shoot em!:p

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
I think they are fair game if they are on public land. They are not considered wildlife so in my mind they fall in the same category as feral swine. Shoot em!:p
I agree, mostly becasue I like buffalo meat. That would be awsome to hike off the hill with a big azz buffalo head on your back.

Leveller

Jul 17, 2011
Oregon
I'd love to agree with you and walk off with an overloaded freezer, but that's not what the locals and the local law enforcement are saying, so steady. Someone did shoot one once, and left the scene. There was a huge uproar. Don't think they got caught but if they had they would have apparently been prosecuted. I guess you have to have a tag ;)

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I'd love to agree with you and walk off with an overloaded freezer, but that's not what the locals and the local law enforcement are saying, so steady. Someone did shoot one once, and left the scene. There was a huge uproar. Don't think they got caught but if they had they would have apparently been prosecuted. I guess you have to have a tag ;)
That is probably good advice even though it goes against what I think is right. If anybody should be getting a ticket it is the dipstick that turned the things loose or can't keep them contained.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
That is probably good advice even though it goes against what I think is right. If anybody should be getting a ticket it is the dipstick that turned the things loose or can't keep them contained.
Agreed, we deal with two neighboring 'ranchers' cattle who regularly get on our property and destroy my Dad's garden and our wildlife food plots. We're talking 400 acres of prime whitetail habitat my Dad purchased solely for deer hunting. These cattle roam through, upsetting our hunting, and the 'ranchers' are completely unapologetic. We have been more than friendly, even electric-fencing our soybean plot, just to keep cattle out to maintain the peace. Pretty soon, my patience will wear thin, and an arrow may be launched.

Leveller

Jul 17, 2011
Oregon
Well just got back from another successful hunt of the Minam Unit where I killed a 4pt muley. Also, most of the buffalo have now be round up and fenced back in on private land. However, we did come cross this rogue large male hiding behind some bushes about 20 ft from us when we were out on the quad. About scared the pants off me lol.DSC00852.jpgDSC00835.jpg