Drop away rests?

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
On the last 3 bows I've owned I've ran a QAD drop away. I just ordered a new bow a I was thinking about getting something different.

Are there any rests that are better then the QAD and why are they better?

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Yes, its one Ive been designing for more than a year. We are near to getting all the production parts. I think its a real winner as it does all the things folks want from a drop away rest with none of the negatives. When it hits full production there will e an announcement but I have been testing and hunting with a prototype (made of 3D printed parts) in Michigan, Hawaii, Texas, WI and another user in Montana. We are testing it in all manner of conditions from super hot and dusty to super cold and icy. The bench top life test Ive set up has cycled 10's of thousands of times with zero failures. We want something that is bomb proof and durable before release.

No triggers, no internal springs in the raise/lower mechanism means no failure to drop, 100% full capture, great arrow clearance, no top bar, etc. Im pretty excited about it.

More to come.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I like the trophy ridge revolution. Have it on my old switchback and on my spyder. I've had the qad ultrarest and had nothing but trouble with it, probably just a lemon. Had a ripcord, too and had clearance issues. Best of luck with your new set up.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro. My last 3 bows I've put this rest on them. It's quiet and pretty bullet proof. I've used QAD in the past and really didn't have any issues.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
I have also only used QAD for 10+ years and tried a Hamskea this year. I like it, and Ill leave it on my bow. There isn't anything wrong with a QAD tho.

Plainsman

Apr 17, 2013
SW WY
Limb driven eliminates any cable stretch that could be induced from tying a rest into the down cable- most likely a better overall design. That said, I still prefer a cable driven rest. Used a QAD for almost 10 years and can't complain about them at all, nothing but great performance and had the "set it and forget it" luck with them... The one minor complaint and it bothered me more than any critters I ever shot was a small amount of noise, happened with all of them. Have been using the TT FC Pro for 18 months now and really like it, can't say performance is any different, but it's quieter. Do miss being able to lock an arrow in the "hot" position though.

hntnnut

Feb 9, 2015
QAD here too. On my third one an no issues with any of them. Put a rip cord on my wife's bow last year and no failures with it either but the launcher drops every time you let an arrow down unlike the QAD.

Richard

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
The positive QAD comments baffle me. Every guy that works at my local pro shop absolutely hates them. I’ve had two bows I bought used that had them on and they’ve talked me into switching both times. They literally have nothing good to say about them. They said they’ve even gone as far as to contact the owner/ developer or whatever and he’s stated these rests are built for tree stand hunters shooting short distances. I’m not knowledgeable enough to fully understand what their talking about but find it strange so many like the QAD. I ended up getting a Limbdriver this last time. Archery guys can sure be confusing! lol!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Short distance tree stand hunters...
Sometime 1 guy has a bad experience and everyone jumps on a band wagon. There are a lot of good rests out there. Depends on what makes you mentally comfortable because they all work. Some have more/better features than others. For example, the QAD and Code Red are very similar and very good, but the QAD can be let down slowly without disengaging the arrow and Code Red could not. (they may have changed this by now) This is what steered me away from the Code Red.
I've been shooting the same QAD for 7-8 years without fail. I also shoot regularly out to 100 yards and often times further when I feel like walking. :)
I'll see if I have a video just for giggles and grins and I'll keep my mind off the pending WY draw! :)

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Ive shot QAD for years and just recently bought a used bow with a Hamskea rest on it. The QAD is nice because it holds the arrow a little better. I had an issue with my QAD after id used for 8 years, I called QAD and they told me to send it in. They sent me a new rest, no questions asked. The Hamskea is great also, and I will be leaving it on my bow.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Rests, like most things in archery, are a personal thing. I've had good luck with QADs over the years and would recommend anyone giving them a try. Based on my experience, I doubt there is anything out there that works materially better. Stick with what works.

Last edited: