draw weight ??????????????????????

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
what would you experienced bow hunters consider the minimum needed draw weight for an elk????? I ask because I want to get back into bow hunting next year but have had rotator cuff issues and bicep and it is going to take me some work to get back there again. right now I struggle to pull 50lbs as my shoulder is still pretty weak. figured I need to work back up to at least 60-65.
what do those of you in the know think is a reasonable minimum pull to achieve adequatte penetration????

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Personally I would recommend a minimum drawl weight of 50 pound. This may sound a bit much considering a rotator issue, however the design of a lot of the new bows changes the peak of the draw cycle and where/when are the string rolls through the cams peak cycle that you may be able to pull more than you think.
Just as everyone says with optics, try a few bows to see what feels best for you. I have no rotator issues or lack of strength and can easily pull a 90 pound bow. However I shoot a 73 pound bow because I like to draw cycle. I’m also OCD concerning numbers and stats and I’ve tried most bows just because I love learning and checking out new gear. I won’t make a recommendation but if you’d like more information shoot me a PM I’d be glad to help.

Reactions: Kodiak and kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
well that's good to know . maybe I am not as far from goal as I thought I was.

my brother is lending me his old PSE , which goes from 45-75 , I believe. I gave my old mathews to my nephew A few years ago, when I first hurt my shoulder. didn't think bow hunting was ever gonna be an option again. but while still weak it seems to be healing ok. at least the pain is bearable again. don't really want to buy A new bow till I get where I know I can pull a reasonable weight again.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Whats your draw length?

The below resulted in poor penetration and 2 lost elk.
25 inch draw
60 lbs

Another thing to consider. Shoot a broadhead that has a lower angle blade. Gets you better penetration through the initial hide cut.

Montec G5 for a fixed or Grim Reaper for a mechanical.

Reactions: kidoggy

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
Years ago I separated my shoulder and couldn't pull my bow at all. I worked it twice a day with light dumbbells working up in weight as I went along. Injury happened in April and by August I could shoot but with a little pain. Bow at the time was 70 lb. Today I have a 60.lb which is faster and has shot through both deer and elk with Savora broadheads which are a lot like Muzzy Trocars. Newer bows shoot a lot faster which would let you drop weight from what you were shooting and probably give you more speed.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I am definitely not an archery expert, but have done a work-around for the same issues that you have. I have always been in shape, and avoided serious injuries, but a life of wear and tear has left me with a right shoulder that causes me grief from time to time. It's good most of the time, but it tends to get problematic at the wrong times. I went to a bow shop, and shot a variety of different compounds, and found that the draw cycle was a major issue. My problem was the point of let-off, and for some bows it was like a stab of a knife. Luckily. I had always batted lefty and am left eye dominant (but right handed). The bow-pro suggested that I try a left bow, and we were both shocked at how well I shot it. I ended up with a Mathews Classic, and it looks like I may be bow hunting elk with it in 2022.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Whats your draw length?

The below resulted in poor penetration and 2 lost elk.
25 inch draw
60 lbs

Another thing to consider. Shoot a broadhead that has a lower angle blade. Gets you better penetration through the initial hide cut.

Montec G5 for a fixed or Grim Reaper for a mechanical.
30"

thanks slugz . good tips

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
With the minimum legal draw weight my wife shot through a bull moose at 15-20 yards. There was 20" of arrow hanging out the other side of the moose. Almost a complete pass-through

She buried an arrow to the fetching in a bull elk a year later in Colorado.

Personally, with a sharp broad-head, I wouldn't get hung up on draw weights as long as you dont push the distance meter past 30 yards.

Reactions: Timr245 and kidoggy

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I have a 27" draw length and pull 65lbs. With you having a 30" draw you'll be fine at 55-60lbs. This poundage will be friendly to your shoulders and you'll have no problem killing elk.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
If i remember right ted nugent only uses a 50lb draw weight on his hunts, bear, deer, oryx and what ever else is on the ranch. Placement and arrow weight , broad head weight and type also play a big part into penetration on the an animal

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I just checked my lefty Mathews bow- 29" draw, set at 60 lbs. My partner will be using a crossbow in WY if we draw in 2022, but those things just never appealed to me. I am inclined to stick with what I have, and concentrate on "aim small, miss small", and upgrading my arrowheads. I found that I can draw up to 80 lbs., but it hurts like hell, I can't hit for crap, and when it's really cold I would be better off using a big rock to hunt with.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
like many have already said 50-60# can be plenty. the performance of our newer bows far exceed what we used to use late 80s early 90s type stuff. it was pointed out about broadheads with not huge cutting diameters or steep angled cutting surfaces. keep shots to better angles than some of the steep quartering stuff. i do shoot a 70# bow but my hunting partner uses a 60# bow and kills elk just as dead as the ones ive shot.

get back into the archery game, i am sure its been missed........

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Honestly, you’re not hunting Cape buffalo. With a 30” draw length and today’s bows (efficiency and speed) you could shoot 40 pounds with a cut-on-contact head and shoot clean through an elk. I’ve had complete pass-throughs with my 47# recurve traveling a blazing 195 fps! My wife’s 38# bow with a two blade cut on contact head has blown through everything she’s killed. You’d be surprised how little energy is needed to penetrate big game. Now if you’re wearing a flat brimm hat and shooting expandable heads, you’re going to need to add some weight. 😁

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I assume you're already doing rotator cuff exercises?? if not, start! I'd recommend some rubber exercise bands.... don't over do it, but you can look up the rotator cuff movements/exercises, and that assuming you don't have a bad tear etc.... can really help strengthen that.

I would think 50lbs could take an elk, perhaps consider a high penetration broadhead, like a 2 blade rage etc...

other exercises could help too.

good luck!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I assume you're already doing rotator cuff exercises?? if not, start! I'd recommend some rubber exercise bands.... don't over do it, but you can look up the rotator cuff movements/exercises, and that assuming you don't have a bad tear etc.... can really help strengthen that.

I would think 50lbs could take an elk, perhaps consider a high penetration broadhead, like a 2 blade rage etc...

other exercises could help too.

good luck!
yes , I am doing exercises . have one o them total gyms that works well for my range of motion so long as I keep it to low weight and many reps. am seeing improvement but it is slow.

Reactions: Bonecollector

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I've got an idea for you Kid that you could put together in your shop.
1. Wrap an exercise band onto a Yeti (or similar) type can cooler. Attach the other end of the band to the wall.
2. Insert the beverage of your choice. (I would suggest beer, otherwise why bother.)
3. Stand a measured distance away from the wall, and pull back the band in a manner that mimics drawing a bowstring.
4. Hold; as long as it takes to get in a few good swallows.
5. Repeat as necessary.
6. As you progress, you can increase the band strength, stand farther from the wall, or go to 16 oz. cans.

FitToHunt

I believe most states have a minimum legal draw weight around 45#. With that being said you can still achieve solid kenetic energy if you increase your arrow weight, and foc. You'll just need to be realistic about your trajectory and effect range.

So, really your question should be: what draw weight, arrow weight, and foc combo do I need to kill an elk.

Theres several kenetic energy calculators out there for you to start playing with the numbers. Good luck on your shoulder recovery!