draw weight ??????????????????????

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
30lbs is pretty light, but with a good coc broadhead and shot placement it can be done.
I agree and it does help to get younger children out hunting. However a 30 pound draw weight is in the gray area for me. You’re expecting young children to be expert marksman and have a 30 pound bow launch an arrow with a cut on contact broadhead perfectly every time. We bowhunters know this is not always possible.
i’m going to make the assumption that elaborate testing was done shooting cut on contact broadheads were shot into gel at 20 yards in order to verify results and make this decision.
To be honest I see more kids being brought into hunting with crossbows than any other weapon. And I honestly have no issues with this as long as it is a legal weapon in your state. It’s amazing how many four and five-year-old children are sitting with a 12 point buck and a crossbow in a picture on the bulletin board at the local diner. We all know how this scenario is played out....

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I agree and it does help to get younger children out hunting. However a 30 pound draw weight is in the gray area for me. You’re expecting young children to be expert marksman and have a 30 pound bow launch an arrow with a cut on contact broadhead perfectly every time. We bowhunters know this is not always possible.
i’m going to make the assumption that elaborate testing was done shooting cut on contact broadheads were shot into gel at 20 yards in order to verify results and make this decision.
To be honest I see more kids being brought into hunting with crossbows than any other weapon. And I honestly have no issues with this as long as it is a legal weapon in your state. It’s amazing how many four and five-year-old children are sitting with a 12 point buck and a crossbow in a picture on the bulletin board at the local diner. We all know how this scenario is played out....
My oldest son shot his first deer with a bow at 10 years old pulling ~32 pounds shooting cut on contact broadheads at ~15 yards. I was shocked at how well this combo performed, the arrow exited the opposite side and the deer went 40 yards. He proceeded to kill two more with this setup. The modern bows can deliver a surprising amount of speed from relatively low draw weights. I am not promoting 30 lbs for elk just sharing my experience. I was really surprised what could be accomplished with such a light bow, that being said I always limited him to 15 yards for shooting at deer. He never missed or wounded a single deer.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I think allowing below 40lbs for elk is asking for trouble. Add in high angle COC ( 3 or 4 ) blades, small draw lengths and light arrows is a recipe for wounded animals. The math just doesn't work out.

I think 2 blade COC broadheads though swing it heavily in favor of the hunter.

Sure perfect shots will get it done. Id estimate though us archers hit exactly where we we are aiming a lot less than we think. Maybe 1 in 7 is a perfect shot in the field is my estimation. Arguably even less.

Last edited:
Reactions: kidoggy

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have little experience and no expertise on this issue, but I remember reading an article that researched different hunting & military bows through history. Some of the military bows, such as the English long bow, and the Persian and Mongol laminated bows had very high draw weights, to the point where professional bowmen had bone structure changes. I did specifically remember that the "Apache" bow, when tested had an arrow speed of just 95 fps.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
Lots of great insight here. If it were me, I would have a good COC broadhead and 50 lbs will be just fine. If it were me I would try and work up to 60 lbs. There's just no downside.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
60 or better is my goal . thought I was getting there but managed to tweak it again in march and had fallen behind where I was back in november . I am now pulling about 50 again but it is tough for me to hold it long and just can't seem improve on that without injuring it again. much to do with being dumb and doing what I probly shouldn't . (it's a guy thing :D )

surgery is probably going to be in my future but not ready to go there just yet .

not sure the old PSE is going to ever work for me . think it has 60% let off.

didn't want to but I might have to break down and get a newer bow with better let off and discuss some arrow and broadhead options with local dealer . ??????

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
60 or better is my goal . thought I was getting there but managed to tweak it again in march and had fallen behind where I was back in november . I am now pulling about 50 again but it is tough for me to hold it long and just can't seem improve on that without injuring it again. much to do with being dumb and doing what I probly shouldn't . (it's a guy thing :D )

surgery is probably going to be in my future but not ready to go there just yet .

not sure the old PSE is going to ever work for me . think it has 60% let off.

didn't want to but I might have to break down and get a newer bow with better let off and discuss some arrow and broadhead options with local dealer . ??????
IMHO if you get a modern bow with like 80% let off, 50ish pounds should be fine as long as you limit your maximum range. Some of these modern bows can generate good speed out of 50 pounds.