Dovetail Bow Site

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
Just about when I talked myself into getting a new bow this year; I chickened out. I am going to compromise with my conscious and get a new bow site. This time, I am considering a dovetail sight mount for the increased accuracy and I hear they help with target focus. My only concerns would be the added weight and increased contact exposure (since it sticks out further from the bow). Sometimes it doesn't make sense to me to buy a lightweight bow then install a heavy sight.

I've been looking at the Spot Hogg Hogg It, Black Gold Revenge or the IQ Retina Lock with the dovetail mounts.

What kind of sight do you guys use and I'd be interested to hear any reviews or suggestions on my ideas.

Thanks!

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I use a black gold ascent slider sight with 4" dove tail. Truthfully, I wouldn't go back. I love this thing. I think the 4" is a good compromise to keep it a little closer to the bow, but still help increase accuracy. As far as weight, yes there is some, but I may not be the best to tell you about weight on a bow. I shoot a Bowtech Insanity CPX with a 12" stabilizer and 8 oz weight on the end of it, so my bow is not light at all. I would think that the minimal weight gained would not impact your shooting as much as the increased distance from the dovetail. I would say the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
Spot hogg Hoggit has been my go to bow sight.

Nice thing about the Dove tail is you can adjust poin gap by extending or contracting the sight.

If you had two different arrow set ups, you could have a pin sight for each one and swap out the sight depending on the arrow setup.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I use the spot Hogg Hogg father. Imo spot Hoggs are the most durable sights you'll ever get.

Remember a dovetail will increase pin gap, but it is more difficult to keep a very small pin float. Since the pin is farther, you'll notice it's tougher to keep on the bullseye at first, because it's farther from the eye. I've never had a problem with a dovetail sight hunting. It hasn't bothered me or got in the way and why would it? Think about it, when your arrow is nocked, it sticks out almost 20" from the riser. And then you stabilizer, assuming you use a decent length on, sits at least 8" from the bow, you won't run into a sight that sits much farther then that.

If price is an issue, look black gold. An ambush or ascent with a 6" dovetail are also nice sights.

Then id look at cbe after those.