Dove Hunting, Who Does It?

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
One year my son and I were bow hunting in NV late Aug. sitting a waterhole for deer. It was a few days before dove season and the doves were as thick as mosquitoes every morning and every evening.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
We do, but lost our good ranch in Capay Valley about 5 years ago. So we go to friends ranch in Oroville which does not have a good flyway coupled with having to shoot steel for dove now really sucks. Another great Commiefornia regulation.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I used to be addicted to dove hunting. I dont hunt them much anymore. Even though there is some decent dove hunting in GA on public planted and burned fields. I have 5 dove points. And no, I'm not joking...lol

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
Last year was the 1st year we had to use steel. Think they are hard to hit with lead, the steel will really humble you. Had to go from #8 shot to #6 steel. On the opener I knocked down 3 or 4 with 8’s and they got up and flew away before the dog could get them. Had to switch to #6’s with higher FPS in order to kill them.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
As others said, it's like a national holiday in Texas. The last couple of years I haven't hunted dove as much as I used to. Last year I didn't hunt them at all. I was hunting axis. This year, I've already killed my axis bucks for the year, and I recently bought a couple of old side by sides. So I'm looking forward to some wing shooting with my new-to-me almost 100 year old Parker. Lots of collared dove (Eurasians) here as well as mourning and white wing dove. No season or limit on Eurasians, of course.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've been tempted to book a trip down to Argentina but I don't know if I could sustain 3000-4000 shots a day down there.

Other than that I haven't been dove hunting in years. A area that I lived in Utah held doves but by the time September rolled around they were already headed to Arizona and warmer climates.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I've been tempted to book a trip down to Argentina but I don't know if I could sustain 3000-4000 shots a day down there.

Other than that I haven't been dove hunting in years. A area that I lived in Utah held doves but by the time September rolled around they were already headed to Arizona and warmer climates.
A guy i work with has been down there a couple times . The pictures i have seen would be unbelievable if i didn't know him so well.

Last edited:

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
I dove hunt occasionally but its just SO DANG HOT here in TX. If i go its usually later in the season. I'm not an opening day hunter

Bowhunter_60

Feb 23, 2016
Northern Arizona
Season opens up here in AZ on Tuesday. Gonna be a good hunt this year. A plus is that we have A LOT of Eurasian Collared Dove which are delicious. No season, no bag limit for them. I'd hunt them year round but I can't tell if they're collared doves or not when they're flying.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
We ay get lucky and have a day or two of hunting here ten the doves all head to town and sit on the phone wires, its like they know LOL

Reactions: Gr8bawana

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
Last year was the 1st year we had to use steel. Think they are hard to hit with lead, the steel will really humble you. Had to go from #8 shot to #6 steel. On the opener I knocked down 3 or 4 with 8’s and they got up and flew away before the dog could get them. Had to switch to #6’s with higher FPS in order to kill them.
Try the Federal #7 shot, can’t remember the name But they sell them at Wal-Mart and they are 1400+ FPS.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
Anyone going out tomorrow? I am too busy to take the day off for those little buggers. Saving my vacation time for deer, but will give em hell on Saturday if there are still any around.