Does anyone still hunt turkeys?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I opened my tail gate this morning and a couple of toms answered.

I guess i worded my questions wrong, does any one "still hunt" or spot and stalk turkeys?
not does anyone go hunting for turkeys. I had a tom all fanned out at the house yesterday morning. The hen did not care.

Reactions: gonhunting247

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
(to answer your question above "tim")
I have used a combination of moving in on them (still hunting) when they will keep talking to you, but just won't budge. I have had some success with this, but have been busted and just boogered the birds quite a few times. I've found for me, patience works better once they have responded to my call.

Last edited:

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
As the tips of the tailfan feathers get lighter in color the turkey gets lighter in brain.cells and heavier on gobbling. The rio and merriams subspecies are not stupid critters in the grand scheme of comparison to other species of animals but compared to easterns and.osceolas they are do do birds. There is no tougher quarry that ive ever chased than the easterns that live in my swamp. The only big game animals id give equal difficulty would be mature whitetail buck and bull elk. Ive killed probly 100 turkeys in my life and.not one chestnut color fan bird was easy. A few merriams and a couple rios did gobble themselves to death but more still have given me.a.heck of a challenge. Ill post a pic of my youngest sons 9th eastern in 10 years of hunting them here in se oklahoma. I called in his first and he smashed him at 12 yards with 28" barrel rem 870 20 ga. At 4 years old. This one he got a few weeks ago was 21 lb and 11" beard. Resized_Resized_20230418_200426.jpeg

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I opened my tail gate this morning and a couple of toms answered.

I guess i worded my questions wrong, does any one "still hunt" or spot and stalk turkeys?
not does anyone go hunting for turkeys. I had a tom all fanned out at the house yesterday morning. The hen did not care.
We’ve put the sneak on quite a few birds. Not really as hard as people think it would be. Especially when you have a group of toms fighting down in a some low ground

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I drove around some over the weekend and found tons of turkeys. Flock after Flock, all on private property