Doe in heat ?

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I was on vacation in the Grand Teton area close to the airport. I watched a antelope buck chase a doe all over for over 30 minutes. He was still after her when I drove off. Is it possible on June the 28th a doe could be in heat?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
It's possible but very unusual. In southern states the earliest does come into their cycle in July. Typically in Northern states they don't breed until late September. Any doe bred that far North would give birth in the dead of winter- not likely to be successful. Guessing it was a pretty young buck you observed?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Animals are like people, they like to play around.

When I was up in British Colombia on a bear hunt I watched a bull elk just jump and down throwing his hooves out to the side. It was one of the most comical things that I have ever seen a animal do, and he appeared to enjoy every minute of it.

Reactions: Prerylyon

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
These days it wouldn’t surprise me. I’ve seen fawn WT deer in October that looked like they just dropped. Spots and all

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I do the same thing to my wife and then just act like I'm playing around.

But she knows my true intentions. lol

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
July time is when I start to see bucks running other bucks and sometimes running a doe around. Probably just building dominance in the herd, that's what it always looked like to me.

Last edited:

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
July time is when I start to see bucks running other bucks and sometimes running a doe around. Probably just building dominance in the herd, that's what it always liked like to me.
This is spot on, watched a dandy buck yesterday chasing a doe. I also believe it coincides with their horns being done growing, which is usually June here in central Wyoming.