DIY or guided ?????

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Drew one of the top tier deer tags here in Nv, and am trying to decide if I should hire a guide? Mule deer are my weak spot it seems , I've had 4 or 5 of these type tags and never can seem to make it happen on a big deer. The whole day late dollar short comes to mind. There is a thread I started on here some where about wanting to do a guided trip for a BIG mule deer for my 50th but that idea got dropped due to no points and costs in places like Co and Wy. Fast forward to now and I'll be 50 this year and drew this tag with just a couple of points a I had changed my strategy to building points in Nv and waiting it out. Ive hunted this unit before for elk and the success rate on 4 point or better for this season last year was in the 80% range. Found a guide that has been hunting it personally the last coupe of year ( himself and family tags) for deer plus elk no to mention what he has gotten for clients nd his rate is $4000 for 5 days fully outfitted.

What say you o wise ones?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The nice thing about hiring a guide is that you are paying him for his knowledge of the animals and the country that you are going to be hunting.

If you don't have the time to scout a lot or don't know the patterns of the deer in the area that you have the tag a guide may be worth the money. .

The other nice thing about a outfitted hunt is you just show up for the hunt and then get to enjoy it. They take care of all the food, some drinks, transportation, packing, and a lot of other things.

$4K sounds like a lot of dollars but you have do decide for yourself if it would really be worth it.

Reactions: sneakypete

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Wise ones have spoken.

However, I could never swallow paying big money to shoot a deer. I would rather fight the crowds on the public land and bitch about it so I have something to talk about on here. Aint life grand?

5 days to me is not enough time to hunt for a big deer unless your guide personally knows the unit very well ( I would make sure of this) and where the deer historically live and hide.

I had three days of FOG come in on me a few years ago that had me sweating a 7 day DIY hunt..
I think I killed my deer on the 5th day though but in all reality, it was simply pure luck of being in the right spot at the right time and making the shot...

Either way, I am sure you will have a great time as long as you can accept the wallet spanking.

Reactions: AKaviator

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I drew the 221-223 late rifle tag last year. I went guided and don't regret my decision. Consider having never stepped foot into a unit(s) before and know nothing about deer patterns, migration, water, etc. I decided it was my best interest to spend the money. However, with that said, now that I've been in that unit and know a bit about it, it would be a harder decision to make going forward, but I'll never draw that tag again.

Not firing shots, but $4k sounds awful cheap for a quality guide in NV even for a 5 day hunt. I'd strongly consider a longer hunt because you never know the curve ball weather might throw your direction.

Good luck regardless and I hope you find a whopper!!!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
aguide will most probably increase your odds but just not for me . for me the satisfaction comes from DIY, if I need help what's the point???????????

I have nothing against those who hire guides . I just live by the mantra those who can ,do. others hire help.for me it's not about the killing it's about the struggle. I'D rather kill a doe on my own, then the next world record with help.

Last edited:

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
sounds reasonable to me...

also, how long have you been applying for that hunt/unit??
If this hunt is going to happen once in your lifetime...or every 10years.... 4k over 10 years....$400/year.

I too feel like I could DIY an elk hunt more easily than I could a DIY mule deer.

If this were a tag you could draw every 2-4 years maybe then I'd consider DIY, but if one of those every 6-15years...I'd probably get a outfitter, especially for the 1st mulie hunt/unit etc...

good luck!

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Happy 50th!

I did my mule deer hunt for my 50th last year and managed a nice buck DIY but was ready to shoot a 2x2 by that time. Success rate was 30% for where we hunted and that's what our success rate was - it could have been 100% but one guy passed a small buck, other guy missed 2. Cost me about $3500 to do the DIY hunt from FL to CO. Next trip will be about $2000 since gear is owned and flying instead of driving. Hoping to get buddy the 3x3 he missed, but all grown up now.

That 80% success rate on 4 pt or better is phenomenal. Seems like there are a lot of 4 pt bucks there. With those kinds of numbers it seems that DIY could be a viable option. You've hunted there before and know what you saw. You know better than the rest of us.

I'd also ask you what your qualifications are for a nice buck? Heavy antlers? Wide? Tall? Symmetrical? Trashy? Let the fellow know.

All that being said - it sounds like a good deal $ wise and if the guide has been hunting the area, he should be on the up & up - maybe ask him for photos of what they shot there last year. 5 days seems to be an average guided hunt. If you can afford it and have no issue shooting a deer that someone helped with, why not?

IF for some reason you aren't able to seal the deal with the guide - is the season long enough for you to continue the hunt on your own? If so, that would be great - I'd look at it this way - hunt for big one or nothing with guide, then if it comes down to it, can go back and "just shoot a nice one" that you and the guide found while hunting for Mr. Big.

Reactions: marcusvdk

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
IF for some reason you aren't able to seal the deal with the guide - is the season long enough for you to continue the hunt on your own? If so, that would be great - I'd look at it this way - hunt for big one or nothing with guide, then if it comes down to it, can go back and "just shoot a nice one" that you and the guide found while hunting for Mr. Big.

This would be my thought.

jdan9

Aug 25, 2012
Treat yourself, you only turn 50 once. Hire the guide, negotiate extra days if by chance you need them. Bring your son or hunting buddy with and have a great time and shoot a big one!!

JD

Reactions: Rich M

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
20 yeara ago before kids and mortgage i went on a semi guided bear hunt with a bow in Ontario . It was dirt cheap i think 500.00 . My brother had a cabin next to the guide that we knew very well so i got a big discount. Basically all he did was set up a couple bait stations and showed me where they were. Anyway i went shot a nice bear and that was that. There was very little satisfaction and i said i would never do that again. Now i know i shot it over bait and thats quite a bit different but if i think there's any chance of me being able to do it myself im going to take that every time . To each is own and if im still talking about elk hunting in my later years of life having never killed one ( my #1 on the bucket list) who knows. I think its a personal decision and financial decision based on income.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A guided hunt is what you make of it.

Yes you can just totally depend on the guide for everything or you can take a active part in the hunt. Sitting over a pile of donuts or a water hole in a blind waiting for a animal to show has never been my idea of a hunt.

My guided hunt in British Colombia was quite interesting. While we did a lot of sitting it was also up to me to do a lot of glassing to try and find the bears and while I only saw one grizzly I did spot numerous black bears, moose, elk, and deer all on my own. My hunt in South Africa was much the same. We hiked quite a bit and glassed a lot. There was no sitting around waiting for a animal to come to a feeder or show up at a water hole.

It is a lot like life, it is what you make of it.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
It’s good to get all of this feedback, take it all in and decide what is best for yourself. Right out of college I took some time off and went to Wyoming to fill a personal dream of guiding. Hired by an outfitter, and our job was to go in and clear trails, scout and be prepared for the first hunter to arrive in 1 month. Outfitter would be back to camp in 3 weeks. When the outfitter arrived back there wasn’t anything impressive to report. I was thinking of how disappointed hunters were going to be. The outfitter just smiled and said “we’ll go for a ride in the morning “. Over that next week I truly found the value of an outfitter. It was the same country I had scouted but just knowing exactly where to be and at what times to be there. Little pockets, I didn’t even consider looking. It was real eye opening for a young lad haha. A good lesson.
There is a big difference between a guide and an outfitter. Good guides are hard to come by, simply because their lack of experience. Make sure you ask about your guide and how much time they have guided in that country. If you are lucky enough you’ll be guided by your outfitter.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Montana hit it on the head. The guided trips that I have gone on went a long way towards giving the feet on the ground (or stirrups) knowledge that has made me a successful DIY deer and elk hunter. You still have to hunt where the game is. Be in shape and hone your shooting skills as much as you can so that you can take advantage of what opportunities you have.

Dallas3362

Jun 16, 2020
what unit did you draw your tag in this year. I got lucky and got a mule deer buck in unit 111-113 Oct 5-20 going to scout it out a couple of times! I was also thinking of a guide service, because I need even stepped foot in that unit before. But I will Waite and see how my scouting trips goes first I'm only about 5 hours away.