Disappointed in Bushnell

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
That lifetime warranty does add a lot of value to your purchase.

Even if what you send in for repair and can't be repaired a good company will replace it with a product of equal or greater value. I have seen this on both Leupold and Vortex.

I think that you are making a good move.
Leupold didn't for me. Offered a discount, sure, but did not replace a two year old unit whose LED display was slowly disappearing. That was a 1000 yard model. Have a 1200 yard model now my wife uses, and I now have a Vortex. Side by side the Leupold is a far better unit, but that warranty, though.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Leupold didn't for me. Offered a discount, sure, but did not replace a two year old unit whose LED display was slowly disappearing. That was a 1000 yard model. Have a 1200 yard model now my wife uses, and I now have a Vortex. Side by side the Leupold is a far better unit, but that warranty, though.
There is a big difference in leupold rangefinders and leupold scopes. Their binos and spotters are somewhere in the middle. That being said there is no better warranty than leupold and redfield SCOPES

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
They could have a different warranty or repair service on electronics such as a rangefinder.

I know that on a pair of binoculars that I sent in they sent me a bran new pair back. However I would of liked to of kept the old pair since they were a olive color instead of black.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
They could have a different warranty or repair service on electronics such as a rangefinder.

I know that on a pair of binoculars that I sent in they sent me a bran new pair back. However I would of liked to of kept the old pair since they were a olive color instead of black.
They do have a different policy on electronics. I think its one year warranty.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
folks just something to think about. remember a lifetime warranty is not for your life, but for the useful life of a tangible product. Also the useful life of a tangible product has been stated as 7 years. Lifetime warranties do not mean you get a free thing in 10 years.
People do get confused on this one. Also a company who discontinues items will not have parts laying around for very long.

I deal with this subject all the time, I own a retail furniture store that sells lazboy products that have a lifetime warranty on parts. Labor is usually only a year.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Now I know where to get my parts from for my recliner if it breaks again.

I will have to say one thing about Lazyboy is that the lady that I dealt with over in Denver a few years ago went above and beyond what I would call good service. I sent her a picture of the part along with the information about my recliner and she had the new parts sent to me within a couple of days. Then when I realized that I had not checked all the damaged parts I call her back and those parts were in the mail. I would of been happy with just taking the chair down to Denver and letting them have it for a week to repair it. Now after repairing it myself I'll take it down to them if it happens again.

I am a believer that if you use something and it just plain wears out the the replacement is on me. I feel that this was a problem with Cabela's warranty where someone would wear out a pair of boots and then get a new pair on Cabela's. I personally didn't think that this was right. But now they have gone to the other extreme where the boots need to be inspected by certain people that are not in every store and the shipping to those people are on you the consumer even if you have a store next door.

But back to optics. I can understand something such as rangefinders only having a limited warranty. Batteries get left in them and corrode, they get dropped and get knocked out of wack, along with replacement parts being used up where there are none left. But it is that manufacture or retailer that places that lifetime warranty onto the item and from what I have read I haven't seen any restrictions or time limits on them.

There used to be a old commercial on TV for Midas I believe. There was a old man who drove a old Ford Model T and every couple of years he would bring it back to Midas for his free brakes that Midas would install for no cost for parts. Granted they didn't mention that they would charge for labor but the brake shoes were taken care of

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I feel like there should be plenty examples of 10+ year old Leupold products being replaced under lifetime warranty. I don’t think they go by the 7 year “lifetime” policy

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Tim, you are incorrect when it comes to the optics warranty offered by Vortex, Leupold, and others. Here is the Vortex Warranty;

OUR VIP WARRANTY IS ABOUT YOU, NOT US.
VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex? product in the event it becomes damaged or defective?at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was or where you purchased it. If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods and monoculars.

UNLIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
FULLY TRANSFERABLE
NO RECEIPT NEEDED

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Here is the Leupold warranty on optics;

Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee
If your Leupold riflescope, binocular, or spotting scope doesn?t perform, we will repair or replace it for free - whether you're the original owner or not. You don?t need proof of ownership or a warranty card, and there?s no time limit. We do this because we believe in superior quality and craftsmanship, and we?re confident your Leupold won?t let you down.

And here is their rangefinder one;

Leupold Electronics Limited Two-Year Warranty
Leupold electronic products which include rangefinders, thermal products, and other electronic devices are warrantied against defects in materials and workmanship for two-years from the date of purchase. If the product is found to be defective, Leupold & Stevens Inc. will repair or replace it free of charge, within that two-year period. Proof of purchase may be required to verify warranty.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
all I am saying is that is all a company has to do on a liftetime warranty, if a company choose to go over that. sweet.
and in your post it states unlimited lifetime warranty not a lifetime warranty. I also never stated this company or that company. I was talking on the general basis, not specific for a certain company.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
all I am saying is that is all a company has to do on a liftetime warranty, if a company choose to go over that. sweet.
and in your post it states unlimited lifetime warranty not a lifetime warranty. I also never stated this company or that company. I was talking on the general basis, not specific for a certain company.
Good to know there is a difference between the two. I honestly hadn't heard of that before- Thanks.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I really like my Leupold rangefinder I bought maybe 5 years ago?

Didn't like how the Vortex fit in my hand, or button location etc...

PS if it's going to sit a while, take the batteries out!