Dilema

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
So I am going to make it short. Last week we went into the Torofare (30miles) and my buddy shot a Giant 7x6 at 7 steps. Something went wrong and he hit the bull low. We tracked him about a mile and jumped him up. 5 hours later. He hit him just behind the shoulder all the way to the vanes. I watched him two different times through Binos. He was hurt pretty bad. He had decent blood but not the greatest however it did have bubbles in it. He had clotted up by the time we bumped him. Not sure if he clipped lower lung or just got an artery. We looked the whole next day with no luck. What are your thoughts on if I should make the long ride in this weekend and look for birds. It was a week ago Monday.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
If you have the time why not? IMO if he got lungs at all, the elk will die. If he didn't, he will likely live at least until winter or maybe longer. I have found several old broad heads while butchering elk and deer. It is amazing to me what they can survive on hits that just miss solid vitals.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I've been to Thorofare and it is a 30+ mile ride, depending where you camp in the valley. Took us 9 1/2 hours for 33 miles. I'd bet the grizzlies or wolves (there are lots of them!) have already ate him. Horns is all you'll get.

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
I've been to Thorofare and it is a 30+ mile ride, depending where you camp in the valley. Took us 9 1/2 hours for 33 miles. I'd bet the grizzlies or wolves (there are lots of them!) have already ate him. Horns is all you'll get.
Yes it is a long ride and after a week half by the time I get there you get bet your arse he has been consumed by now. I shot a 310'ish bull and his swamped mine. It sucks but would be nice to get the rack. I know an outfitter was hunting the drainage. Wonder if they would have found him.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Unless he hit high in the dead zone....that's a dead elk if it's close to the shoulder and buried that deep. .If it was me, yes I would out of respect for the animal. Also worth letting the outfitters in the area know as well. . Unfortunate situation, but that sounds like a dead bull to me

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
Unless he hit high in the dead zone....that's a dead elk if it's close to the shoulder and buried that deep. .If it was me, yes I would out of respect for the animal. Also worth letting the outfitters in the area know as well. . Unfortunate situation, but that sounds like a dead bull to me

Yea I am very positive that he is dead. Now I got to see if someone would want to go with me. My buddy left back for GA Sunday and I am not going that far by myself. I really appreciate your thoughts. On a side note I killed my first bull and he only ran about 4 yards and piled up. Called in 4 bulls in 2.5 days and he did kill a decent Mule Deer. My bull will go in the 310 rand 6x6 with additional browtines above his main browtines. I am pumped. His swamped mine in size.

Last edited:

hoshour

Veteran member
If it was not a full broadside shot or he was shooting downhill, he may have only gotten one lung, or if it was a few inches back from the shoulder crease and low, he may have nicked a lung.

Either way, or in the case of a gut shot, after a week that bull has gone the whole length of a grizzly's digestive system. You can glass all you want, but you won't recognize him unless you find his horns and bones.

I don't think I would go back. You'll only find a pile of bones and perhaps some putrified meat and if your friend didn't make a lethal shot, your tag is full already. What's the upside? Horns, I guess, but you're almost shed hunting.

Last edited:

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
He was dead broadside and on even ground. No way I would find him if he is still alive. Only upside would be finding his rack. Downside is I could be chasing mule deer and or antelope. Also scouting for my other week long trip Oct 15.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Yea I am very positive that he is dead. Now I got to see if someone would want to go with me. My buddy left back for GA Sunday and I am not going that far by myself. I really appreciate your thoughts. On a side note I killed my first bull and he only ran about 4 yards and piled up. Called in 4 bulls in 2.5 days and he did kill a decent Mule Deer. My bull will go in the 310 rand 6x6 with additional browtines above his main browtines. I am pumped. His swamped mine in size.
Congrats on a great deep wilderness bull! I love the thorofare/Yellowstone meadows region and wish I was up there hunting this year!. I have no doubt you played the unfortunate scenario as best as possibly could be. Bad situation for sure, but anyone who hunts long enough will definitely find themselves in that at some point. obviously the upside is. .you can sleep knowing you did everything possible to find that bull and maybe recover the horns for your buddy..downside, obviously a sore ass and most likely you won't find him no matter. I personally wouldn't go in there for a buddy who is now on the other side of the country. ..but if it was my personal bull I shot, I would have considered my tag punched, and gone back in to look at least one more time

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I hunted Thorofare in 2011 with an outfitter from Powell. His website touts how historical his camps are and how great the hunting is. I had a lousy hunt. I have been hunting big game for 60 years (celebrated my 70th BD on the hunt) and know sometimes these thing happen. I saw only 15 or 20 elk in 6 days hunting, one bull over 500yds away that I wouldn't shoot at. No one got an elk during this trip. We saw grizzlies 4 or 5 times and lots of wolves. I said I would never go back, even tho it is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.

My question is this: Was my trip unusual? Has the hunting improved even with all the wolves? I know of several other outfitter who do not go as far into the valley as I did and they seem to be doing fine. I am thinking of doing a fishing trip (outfitted) in the summer to see how thing look. I would love to go back there hunting, but not the way it was for me.

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
I hunted Thorofare in 2011 with an outfitter from Powell. His website touts how historical his camps are and how great the hunting is. I had a lousy hunt. I have been hunting big game for 60 years (celebrated my 70th BD on the hunt) and know sometimes these thing happen. I saw only 15 or 20 elk in 6 days hunting, one bull over 500yds away that I wouldn't shoot at. No one got an elk during this trip. We saw grizzlies 4 or 5 times and lots of wolves. I said I would never go back, even tho it is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.

My question is this: Was my trip unusual? Has the hunting improved even with all the wolves? I know of several other outfitter who do not go as far into the valley as I did and they seem to be doing fine. I am thinking of doing a fishing trip (outfitted) in the summer to see how thing look. I would love to go back there hunting, but not the way it was for me.
I absolutely loved it and calling in 4 bulls in 2.5 days I thought was a pretty good success. I was very hesitant going in hearing all of the horror stories. However I am very pleased. I can say I hunted extremely hard and on foot covering a lot of ground. I heard three different bulls the last afternoon and we could have killed one of them but we were in the process of breaking down a Mule Deer. Hollar at me next year and your more then welcome to join me when I go back.

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
Congrats on a great deep wilderness bull! I love the thorofare/Yellowstone meadows region and wish I was up there hunting this year!. I have no doubt you played the unfortunate scenario as best as possibly could be. Bad situation for sure, but anyone who hunts long enough will definitely find themselves in that at some point. obviously the upside is. .you can sleep knowing you did everything possible to find that bull and maybe recover the horns for your buddy..downside, obviously a sore ass and most likely you won't find him no matter. I personally wouldn't go in there for a buddy who is now on the other side of the country. ..but if it was my personal bull I shot, I would have considered my tag punched, and gone back in to look at least one more time

We searched for two days. We probally should have waited alittle longer and that was my bad. It started pouring rain and I figured he would have died. Especially after seeing the arrow placement through Binos. I would not go in there for anyone but my buddy is like a brother that I have been best friends with for 20 years and I know he would do the same for me. I am pretty sure it is a lost cause with how thick and steep it was where he was. It is super big country with a lot of places that he could go. However if there was a possibility I would find him it would be worth it. Really wanting someone to talk me into going in there. However I also do not want to go by myself as I have a hip replacement and it almost popped out on me last week while I was in there. I know there will be more hunts in the years god willing.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If I was closer and not going hunting in Utah next week I would volunteer if you provided a horse. It sounds like it would be quite interesting, but I agree with you not by yourself.

On a little bit of a different subject but the same thing, what is Wyoming's policy on picking up a dead head if you did find it? I know that in Utah you need to leave it where it lies and contact a Fish and Game officer for them to check it out. But are you planning on tagging it with a carcass tag if you do find it?

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
You will have to get an interstate game tag which is $8 I believe. You may not need it with his tag but you sure should let the Warden know. We have a law about picking up antlers with the skull attached. The Warden will work with you I'm sure in this situation.

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I am with others who already stated they would go in respect for the animal. For sure all you can expect to get will be horns. Hope you find someone to go along. If I had the time I would gladly go. Hunting for a dead animal is still hunting and hunting is what it is all about.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
If it was me, and I made that shot, I would look till I couldn't look anymore.
I would do everything I could to put my tag on him.