Desert Double...

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
I was fortunate to tag out on both my December 2011 and January 2012 archery Muley tag's in Az this season... Both deer were DIY on OTC tags... here are some pictures to get the blood pumping... They are 146 and 156 green... Hope you enjoy!
DSC00899.jpg
DSC01015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
graylight, looks like the new year was good to you. Way to end the season and start the year man, congrats. Those are some nice bucks, especially OTC-DIY! You can get 2 Buck tags in AZ? BTW, i dig your website/forums, another great place to get info and see some great animals on the ground and chat with good peeps...props, all the way around.

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
Jay, The December deer was on my 2011 tag and the January deer was on my 2012 tag... No more Az for me until January 2013!

Good forums and sites like The Eastmans make it fun to share... IMO there are many other sites out there with a lot of keyboard hunters on them... I like how the majority here is a hard core, DIY group... Thank you everyone for all of the kind words :)

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
goodjob graylight i just got back from arizona had lots of fun and saw some bucks like that on private land and also just couldnt put anything together on some smaller ones and blew a stalk on a 70'' plus coues buck got within 24 yards and i couldnt see him but knew where he was and i became impatient and panicked and blew him out learend my valuable lesson the hard way lol but ill be back loved it good job again

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Way to go Marlon.....congratulations to both of you! It may have just been where I was hunting, but the lack of Monsoon season really impacted antler development this year. Did you see the same?

I passed a 160" type buck opening morning at 37 yards knowing I'd see a bigger one as the hunt continued.......he was the best buck I saw in two weeks! Quite few mid 140-150" bucks, but with 5 deer in the freezer this year already (between my son and I), I was wanting something in the 170's or nothing. Again, congratulations on bucks you boys look happy with!

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
Roy, Thank you my man... The last three years have shown a decline in trophy quality as well as herd sizes in the areas we've been in as well. Several years back we would see in excess of 120 deer a day. We were lucky to see 50 to 80 on this last trip... The bucks we did see averaged 130 to 150 class, however, we were able to locate a couple bruisers in the flats in the 170's with stalks that never panned out... You know how it is, once you get down in those thickets, it's like a maze and if you get close, all you see is deer running away!

We stuck to the foothills the last part of the hunt and scored decent bucks... I'm completely happy with the hunt... I did notice that there were better bucks this year as compared to last year, so hopefully, well see a few all grown up for next January!