Demographics of Eastmans Hunting Forum

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Down in Texas they want to kill as many hogs as they can. On my hunts with a friend on his property, he encourages me to shoot as many as I can.
That's the way that they are in most areas. I have a friend that lives just out of Dallas and drives for Walmart. He says that there are signs all over the place saying that the farmers, and ranchers want hog hunters. The trouble is from what he says is that they all want you to pay them for the ability to hunt the hogs on their land...and most of them are not cheap.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I heard from a guy from Texas that you have to kill roughly 70% a year just to keep the population from getting even more out of control because they are such prolific breeders. I have no idea if that is true or not.

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I heard from a guy from Texas that you have to kill roughly 70% a year just to keep the population from getting even more out of control because they are such prolific breeders. I have no idea if that is true or not.
I heard that a female can breed at six months, has five to nine pigs and can breed two times a year.they are fertle until about 5 years of age...so by the time she is one year old, sows from her first litter are breeding. Numbers go crazy after that...

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Gestation period for pigs is 3months 3weeks 3days. Than be able to re-bred about a month after birth of the litter.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I heard that a female can breed at six months, has five to nine pigs and can breed two times a year.they are fertle until about 5 years of age...so by the time she is one year old, sows from her first litter are breeding. Numbers go crazy after that...
So what you are saying is....Bacon should never be an issue again for rural Texas????

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
From what I have been told those wild Texas pigs don't make good bacon.

But I have never been able to go hunt them either.