Deer herd in the Northern Bighorns

schlaggerman

Mar 10, 2011
We keep hearing tales of woe concerning the deer herd out west, but it seems to be in western Wyoming where the worst reports are coming from. Anybody been in the northern Bighorns this summer to observe the deer herd there? How did they fair this past winter and spring?

We have archery deer tags. If we were to fill our tags early is it legal to coyote hunt with a rifle during the September archery season?

Last edited:

hoshour

Veteran member
From what I hear, the Bighorns came out pretty well compared to Regions G and H. As far as spring, Wyoming has had the benefit of a lot of snowmelt and the forage in many places has been spectacular. I assume you're asking about mulies, but whitetails around Sheridan had a serious disease outbreak a few years ago that put a major dent in the older age brackets.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Yes you can hunt coyotes any time of the year. Call the biologist up there Tim Thomas 307-672-7418. He will know exactly how things are this year.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Last weekend we were up around Burgess Junction. There were a lot of people around, something to do with the ski hill or something, but we did manage to see quite a few deer. They looked pretty fat and happy. No big guys or fawns, but it seemed like the herd was doing ok. Fawns there can hide and I would never see them if I walked on top of them, so I am not a good indicator of fawn numbers. Didn't get out away from everybody at all, but lots of green, tall grass and the other things still. Not a real techincal answer, hoshour is right I think about the winter, it seemed slightly above average snow, which is good probably. Summer has been kindof hot and dry, though.

schlaggerman

Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the updates guys. It's good to hear about lots of green grass, that's always good for all species. I suppose if August remains hot and dry that grass could dry up in a hurry. I'm planning on coming a week later this year instead of the opening week. Don't like hunting during the full moon, it never seems good.