Decline in moose preference point purchases?

Has anyone heard any real numbers or percentages of decline in nonresident moose preference point sales in Wyoming? A few months ago, we all made dire predictions (myself included) that we would no longer buy nonresident moose preference points in Wyoming when they jacked the price to $150. I kept up my end of the deal by not buying one last year, but I'm curious if anyone has heard any solid info that sales have actually declined.

My situation is different from most in that the points are for my wife. Our sole purpose was to pick up a small number of points and cash them in for a cow moose license for a fun, non-trophy kind of trip to Wyoming. Maybe something to combine with a mule deer hunt for myself. The idea still sounds fun, but the price, in both dollars and preference points, is higher now. I hate to walk away from 5 points, since that could soon be enough to draw a cow moose license, but there are also people with higher numbers of points who seem to be dropping out and cashing their points for cow licenses. Also, $150 now would allow me to extend the window to make my decision for another couple of years.

In principal, I still want to stick it to the commissioner who said, "These people have lots of money. They won't mind spending more for moose and sheep preference points."

QQ

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I bailed a year after I wasted my money and realized how crappy my chances really where and how little I wanted to pay the state of wyoming for those crappy chances. lol

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Being my first hunt out west was in 2017 at age 51 and looking at required points to draw a tag. I don't even consider buying pp for Moose. Heck I bought my first elk pp this year in hopes of just drawing a general elk tag in the next 3 years.

Horniac

Jul 14, 2011
NorCal
It is a fool’s paradise in the WY preference point game for many non-residents. The only way it makes any sense IMO to continue to accumulate points if your not currently in double digit points is to actually front the tag fee and apply for a random bull moose tag every year. At least you have a chance, albeit slim, of drawing a bull tag. The other option for low point holders would be to target an antlerless moose tag in the preference point draw. There were 5 NR antlerless preference point tags issued last year. There are few NR applicants so you never know and there was an antlerless tag issued in unit 4 that took only four points to draw! There was only one random antlerless NR tag available in WY last year and that was in unit 38 with 1:15 odds of drawing. By comparison the same antlerless tag in this unit took 16 points to draw. The other antlerless preference point tag in unit 25 took 12 points to draw.

The only other reason to continue to buy points without actually applying for a random tag would be to keep your ground hoping that WY modifies the preference point system in the future. Perhaps they will convert them to bonus points and then square them (i.e. Nevada) which would give an applicant with more points better odds as opposed to an applicant with fewer points...or some new hybrid system hereto unknown unknown that gives applicants with more preference points better odds than those without.

My personal opinion is that the WY moose NR preference point fee, application, and tag fees will continue to increase over time as is the trend in all western states. As prices continue to increase, the number of avaliable NR moose tags will continue to decrease. At some point in the future, the revenue from the WY NR moose preference point fees will sharply drop as NR applicants come to realize that they will not live long enough to ever draw a preference tag and bail out of the system. At that point, WYG&F will have to make major changes to the system in order to maintain the $1.7M+ the current NR moose preference point fees are generating for their budget or replace that renenue from another source. It is a tough situation for sure for both the department and the NR hunter wanting to hunt a Wyoming moose some day...

Horniac

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The 3 area 38 cow moose were drawn with 16, 14, and 6 preference points. There has been a jump in applicants for these tags over the last couple of years as I believe people are deciding to jump out of the PP pool due to price increases. However, the guys with 16 and 14 points likely had circumstances that caused them to spend that many points on a cow. An area 18 bull tag only took 15 PP last year. I have 6 points and plan to apply for the bull tag in the next year or two and then consider applying for a cow tag to get out of the raising PP price game. I'll decide once I see what people are doing after a couple of years of the high prices.

memtb

Our Game & Fish appear to be run by fools that seem to thrive on “ fleecing” people of their hard earned money! Nationwide, there is a promotion to get youth involved in hunting....yet, our Game & Fish are pricing a family with several children and limited income out of the “hunting experience”!

I certainly understand the pain that you non-residents feel.....but, residents are getting “gouged” as well! It’s amazing at how our Game & Fish can invent new ways to get $! memtb

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I know this thread deals with moose, but I've seen the odds generally worsen across the board since I started this 'hobby' 6 yrs ago.

There is this line of reasoning that we'll have some yrs here soon where max point holders cash their horde of points out, bringing some sensibility into the odds, but I just don't know if that will happen-esp with legions at the next lowest point breaks in line right behind them.

With limited means to purchase points and tags, I've only got 3 pts accumulated for elk, deer, antelope purchasing just every other yr to keep them and not bust my meager hunting budget. Honestly, when my family life and finances settle out a bit, and I can devote 2 weeks to a hunt, I want to cash the points out on reasonable hunts as soon as possible, even if the trophy potential isnt there,and not wait forever to take a mature critter with headgear. The points add a lot to what I call, 'true cost of the tag'. 10 yrs of $40 pts is $400. Turns a $400 deer tag into one costing $800.

Even the type 6 stuff is getting harder to draw; many of those units aren't the gimmes they were just a few yrs ago. To have opportunities to scout and an excuse to travel west, small game and fishing may be options for those times that a tag isn't drawn.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I quit applying for Colorado points for moose several years ago. I had enough to enter the draw (3), but realized at my age the odds were really stacked against me. Never applied for Moose in Wy. In fact, as of this year, the only out of state point I am buying will be antelope. Used my max points last year for deer and won't be applying again. I can pretty much hunt deer every other year here in Colorado.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I would say that if a person is 50 years old + to not even bother with putting in for any draw that is going to take years to draw. Save your money or just open up the checkbook and head up to Canada, hire a outfitter and go moose hunting.

I have a problem in Utah in that I have 20 points invested in a bison hunt and I'm 66 years old and drawing a tag in the near future is not in sight. The biggest reason that I keep putting in is that Utah's bison herds are free ranging which can not be said about many other hunts here in the US. I may get fed up with waiting and head to a ranch hunt but a canned hunt just doesn't sound right.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I quit applying for Colorado points for moose several years ago. I had enough to enter the draw (3), but realized at my age the odds were really stacked against me. Never applied for Moose in Wy. In fact, as of this year, the only out of state point I am buying will be antelope. Used my max points last year for deer and won't be applying again. I can pretty much hunt deer every other year here in Colorado.
It’s a shame you can’t hunt deer every year CC. Especially being a state resident.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There are areas where residents can hunt deer every year but they may not be where a person wants to hunt.

My favorite muzzle loader area can sometimes be drawn every year, but it is usually every other year. I am lucky in that my secondary muzzle loader area is just across the road from my primary unit

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
I would say that if a person is 50 years old + to not even bother with putting in for any draw that is going to take years to draw. Save your money or just open up the checkbook and head up to Canada, hire a outfitter and go moose hunting.

I have a problem in Utah in that I have 20 points invested in a bison hunt and I'm 66 years old and drawing a tag in the near future is not in sight. The biggest reason that I keep putting in is that Utah's bison herds are free ranging which can not be said about many other hunts here in the US. I may get fed up with waiting and head to a ranch hunt but a canned hunt just doesn't sound right.
If I were you, I'd be hunting cow bison in the Henry Mts. this year! I've only got 7 Utah bison pts, but I'll be applying for a cow tag every year until I draw. Cow will still make a lot of steak, a nice European mount and a great hunt!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Nopex, I'm in it for a bull.

While bison meat is fantastic I'm in it for a trophy. I have been on a dozen hunts for them down in the Henry's and know them quite well. Well enough to tell you that some of the hardest hunts are the cow hunts after the hunter choice hunts are finished and know of a number of cow tag holders that have gone home with tag soup