Decided on Caliber - Now need to decide on Rifle

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
After some consideration, thought and looking at the ammo available around here - gonna run with the 6.5 CM for a new rifle. A little research showed that with similar bullets, the 6.5 CM and 7mm-08 are basically identical out to 500 yds. I just can't readily get the 7mm-08 ammo around here - go figure, but they carry oodles of 6.5 CM.

Wife hunted 2 weekends ago and saw a big whitetail buck at 200-250 yards, well out of range of her 357 mag rifle, now wants to carry something a little larger when she hunts. It's funny watching her when she talks about it - it pains her that she didn't shoot it. LOL! So killing 2 birds with one stone. We'll both shoot this one.

Anyway - in the market for a bolt gun.
Not looking for the lightest gun out there - 7# class is fine, I'm not climbing mountains.
Price range up to say $1,200.
Will put a Leica ER 2.5-10x44 on there w Leupold mounts.
Will reload to a point - find a good deer-class load and stick with it.

I like stainless rifles, but the new cerakote stuff seems legit. Just no experience with it.

So - what do you think? I have a Win 70 but also like Browning Xbolt, Tikka is nice and I have a soft spot for Ruger. Which direction to go?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If it is for your Mrs, I would take her down to the gun shop and let her decide.

Also look at the Weatherby Vanguard Camila which was built with the ladies in mind.

Reactions: THelms

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I would go with one of the hells canyon LR, leupold scope and Talley cerecoated rings to match..

And I would also get a higher power scope to do that paper puncher justice.

Last edited:

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I've been intrigued with the Christensen Mesa, which is about in your price range. You might look at one of those!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I've been intrigued with the Christensen Mesa, which is about in your price range. You might look at one of those!
Agree here, I recently bought the Ridgeline, seems to be a really nice rifle, not sure it's worth $600 more than the Mesa. I really liked the Mesa when I handled it, actually wish I would have bought it instead.
If I didn't go Christensen, I'd go Weatherby.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I would just make sure it's built on a short action, not long action.

and I would probably want a 22" barrel, not 24", possibly even 20".

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

believe the tikka and weatherby in 6.5cm, would only be built on long actions...
weatherby mkv long action probably... the vanguards I think have short action options...

Last edited:

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
If it is for your Mrs, I would take her down to the gun shop and let her decide.

Also look at the Weatherby Vanguard Camila which was built with the ladies in mind.
I got my wife the Camilla in 7mm-08 as a present. She's over the moon about it. The wood isn't QUITE as nice as the marketing photos would leave you to believe but it's a beautiful gun and it fits her like a dream.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks guys.

This is gonna be a shared rifle.

Gonna have to get her somewhere she can heft a few. Few gun shops other than BPS around here since gander closed.

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming

Great deal on a stainless Tikka

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The first three shots out of my Weatherby Vanguard shooting factory ammo right off of the shelf were a very nice clover leaf about 3/8" in diameter at 100 yards. This was a .25-06. It has only gotten better with reloads.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy