• Vortex Razon HD 20-60x85 Angled

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That is a very unique thing to do. Try before you decide to purchase in actual field conditions or that one time hunt of a lifetime where you don't want to spend as much on the optics as you are spending on the hunt.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Call Cabela's (or whoever) and order a bunch of scopes. Make sure of return policies.

Try them out on your terms. Return the ones you don't like.

I did that with binos. Worked for me.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Call Cabela's (or whoever) and order a bunch of scopes. Make sure of return policies.

Try them out on your terms. Return the ones you don't like.

I did that with binos. Worked for me.
Ive done this with rifle scopes, binos, and spotting scopes from Cabelas. At one time I had $30k in rifle scopes at my house and another time $20k in spotting scopes. I told them what i was doing and they had no issues so long as i didnt damage anything.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The trouble doing that is that you need to phony up the money for what you ordered, at least until you get them returned. If you order them at the right time you can play on the banks money but order them at the wrong time and it is all on you.

But then if you are like the majority of people and never pay off your CC then all you do is pay some extra interest on the money that they charged you.

But I agree with mallardsx2, I could never do that and would feel guilty while I had them in my hands.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
After looking through dozens of spotting scopes at the stores and taking everyone's opinions in I decided to just save up my cash for Swaro 15X56's ....Nothing in my opinion compares to them.

Almost there with the funds....

Took a pair of vortex 12X56 to Alaska spotting for bears and I was seeing bears miles away. I realized just how much I like looking through binoculars and just how much I hate looking through a spotting scope.

Eastfork

Feb 14, 2016
Get the binos then get a doubler. I think they make it for the binos your looking at. As far as spotting scopes good......im kinda a glass nut, an I have tried a lot of glass. One think i want to point out, it that all eyes are different. We see thinks different than each other. We see colors different. So as far as one being superior to another its in the eyes of who ever but not your eyes. For my eyes Nikon is what I have liked until I tried the kowa. Now i have a few Nikons and kowa prominar. One thing to mention get a wide angle view eye piece. The glassing experience is that much better. Good luck.

JakeCornish

Feb 13, 2021
I was interested in the thread about fate. Let's say I want to know the future. We all want to know what awaits us in the future, what fate will send us, and how it will affect our future lives. I think that even if the TAROT cards will give a bad forecast for your fate, then believe it and go into a panic is not worth it. Fortune-telling on cards, like any other prediction, gives you a hint about what fate has prepared for you, but no fortune-telling can predict exactly how you will act in this situation, which means that your future fate will depend solely on yourself and on your choice.

Last edited:

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I would steer clear of 15x binos for antelope and open country deer hunting. 10x are great for spotting and 60x spotter is great for field judging and spotting game in thicker brush. The name of the game for antelope, deer, and other game is field judging bucks. You''ll soon find that 15x isn't enough power even with a doubler to field judge game where inches make or break a score. As an example, could you tell if an antelope buck has 6 1/2 or 7" bases or 1 1/2 or 2 1/2" 4th quarter circumference at 800 yards with 15x....no way! If you are an experienced antelope hunter you can actually tell mass measurements at that distance with a spotter. Can you even see brow tines on a muley buck at 800 yards with 15x? When a 8 1/2" billy mtn goat is ok and a 9" billy is big you better have a spotter to tell the difference! Maybe score doesn't matter.....but if it does I'd steer clear of 15x and invest that $ in 10x plus a spotter.

Where 15x shine is in super brushy country where everything looks similar and you spend hours and hours trying to spot animals. It still requires a spotter to field judge them. There are very few situations in Colo, Wyo, Utah, and Nevada open country hunting where 15x are going to help you more than 10x binos plus spotter. There was one instance on a bighorn hunt a couple seasons ago when 15x would have helped. Rams were always in a 2 mile long section of cliffs/rock that all looked similar. I was across that canyon glassing. My 10x was to little power to spot rams blending into the rocks and my spotter took to long to cover the area. 15x would have worked perfect for that one canyon. The remainder of the unit the 10x plus spotter worked perfect. I don't hunt cows deer in Arizona....and can see where that would be the place for 15x plus a spotter.