Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Need help deciding on spotting scope
these will be on a tripod
used for antelope/mule deer

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Have you thought about 15x binos like the Swarovski SLC 56 instead of spotting scope?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem even with 15x binos is that at times you really need to reach out there with a spotter. That extra magnification can really make a difference on making a stalk or just sitting there watching.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'm very happy with the Kowa Prominar 883, angled, that I got this year. 88mm 25X60. For tripod use, it's really good optics.

rcfireninja

Mar 3, 2014
Rapid City, SD
Need help deciding on spotting scope
these will be on a tripod
used for antelope/mule deer
Do you have a budget set for it?
What weight are you wanting it to be?
Those questions once answered will help narrow it down. For antelope you want one that can reach out far enough to save you from hiking miles after a goat that doesn?t meet what your after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have pretty much decided on these systems for both price point and weight. I should also mention that I have looked through all of these. Are you saying that you dont think the 12-40 GR would be enough magnification?

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
85 mm and bigger scopes are large just know that.

I would recommend looking around and finding a used zeiss 85 if you want to go big or a used lecia 65.. Seen some screaming deals on used lecia 65's and that is a great spotter.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Duck2,
Couple comments that the guys and or you have hit on.
1) We are a Leupold/Vortex family and love both of what you listed. Each from a great company and both with rockstar customer service.
2) Col V brings up a great point. If I'm not concerned with size weight I'm going the 85 route. Example: I quad to my camp/ glassing spot, short hike to it or plains glassing from the truck/roads for mule deer and antelope before the stalk.
3) If I'm humping around I'm going with the 60. MCSeal I believe has a great thread on it.
4) I made the assumption on the price point so that's why you were going with those two. Col V makes another good point on looking for the deals on the European glass if time permits.
5) Lastly, have you looked at the Maven optics line of products? I haven't looked through them, or checked the price point......but.....the name keeps coming up in differnt conversations. They are a sponsor now for the Colorado Outfitter Association which caught my eye. I believe they are out of Lander Wyoming.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have not checked out Maven but I will take a look for sure. Any recommendations from them?

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
85 mm and bigger scopes are large just know that.

I would recommend looking around and finding a used zeiss 85 if you want to go big or a used lecia 65.. Seen some screaming deals on used lecia 65's and that is a great spotter.
I run the Leica 65 , it really is an awesome spotter. For me it is the best blend on weight,power,clarity .
I ran the Leica 77 on a manfrotto tripod.
The 65 with tripod weighs less than the manfrotto tripod alone.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
15 power Swaros SLC binoculars definitely have their place glassing up game and have become probably my favorite tool for long glassing sessions. Once the animal is located, a spotter becomes invaluable if you want to size up the animal.

I carried an 80 mm Swarovski spotter for years. It was excellent glass but I got tired of the bulky size and weight. I scaled down to a 65 and got burned on a nice muley one morning at first light when I couldn't size him up at only about 800 yards. Now I am back with a larger objective. If you aren't worried about low light glassing like in antelope or sheep hunting go with a smaller objective.

This year we stalked a 360+ bull only because one morning I spotted him going into a brush patch in VERY LOW light (nearly dark). There was a tan spot (butt), then there wasn't. I watched that brush patch for an hour until I saw a tine move. It is those kinds of situations when I am glad to be carrying the extra weight of a large spotter.

I've been using a Vortex Razor HD 20-60X85 for the last few years. It is good but not great. It is going back to Vortex this spring to have them look it over. That scope just hasn't been as "sharp" of glass as I would think it should be. This fall I glassed next to a guy who was getting some crazy good video through a new generation Vortex spotter.

Last edited:

rfagar

Jun 28, 2016
Is the Vortex Razor HD that you have been running the latest iteration? Think they have a new one out this year that is more compact and supposed to have incredible clarity....thoughts and comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
Hey Mallard, I also have a Leica 65 and you can just about see after dark through it. Several years ago Eastmans did a side x side and it came out Leica on top then Swaro than Zeiss and then Vortex. There are several new ones/Lesser Known out there now, Niteforce, Kowa, Maven. I bought mine as a Demo off New York Cameraland and paid a hair over 2k. Now if money is no object the Swaro with the interchangeable objective lenses would be the ticket, unfortunately about a 5k or 6k investment with all the lens choices. Good luck and God bless

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Thanks for the heads up.

Im taking my time with this decision for sure. There are so many conflicting opinions that it makes it hard to truly narrow things down.

I'm heading to AK for a DIY black bear hunt in may. I need to get something better than what I have before then.

I missed an opportunity as a good mule deer a couple years ago because I coudnt see what it was in the early morning light. By the time I could tell what he was he go onto private land and has lived in my dreams ever since. He was a dandy and if I had known that I think I had the time to get into position to kill him. I vowed that I would do everything to minimize that mistake in the future.

I'm really going to swing for the fences with my next purchase even if that means selling a couple guns to get what I want.

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
Hey Mallard, another thing that you may look into is renting one. Years ago while going to Yellowstone there were several shops outside the park that advertised Spotter and Binoc rentals, not sure if they still exist or quality but it may be a way to check out different top brands if available. Just a thought. Good luck and God bless