Daypack goodies

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
When you guys are hunting out of a basecamp and heading out for the day are you guys taking a water purifier with you or just aqua mira drops, how much water do u take for all day. Are you guys also taking a jetboil with to make some mountain house or you guys just having a good breakfast at camp and eating high protein/carb snacks through out the day and then having a good supper when you get back to basecamp? Thanks guys.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I bring a 3l hydration bladder and use that for the day. I eat oatmeal before I leave and pack bagel pb&j sandwiches or tuna in the tinfoil packs for lunch plus several snacks like trail mix, clif bar, or snickers.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It all depends on where I am at. Usually if I go out for the day I'll have 2 quarts of water and a few Capri Sun drinks. For a snack I'll have a couple of apples, candy and granola bars along with some home made trail mix and jerky.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Although everyone has a different set and schedule based off the hunt.....our base camp hunting out of a wall tent always starts with a big breakfast. 80% of the time we are going in before sunrise and coming out after sunset. I take a pump filter with packets of gatorade to mix. I don't carry water in our primary hunt area due to me always crossing it with plenty of options to fill up. I also use a roll up water bag that is 16oz (small and lightweight). Snacks are trail mix, jerky, snickers, fruit. Lunch is always some sort of peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Most times someone gets assigned dinner duty so they head back early to have it waiting and hot. Now thats our archery/muzzleloader days. Once it starts to get cold and the weather starts to really fly I take the jetboil with instant chicken soup/extra cooked noodles, instant coffee packs.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I care a bare minimum. And when I saw bare minimum...that includes a jetboil and water for coffee and water for the mid morning coffee...
A man has to have his priorities! lol

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Bottled water, jerky, trail mix, peanut butter crackers, an apple and an small thermos of coffee. A small bullet type thermos works great . We put a neoprene cover on it and coffee is hot all day. Breakfast is pretty light before we go out and a good mid morning snack is just right for me to make up for the light breakfast. When the elk bed down we'll sometimes head back in for a big late morning meal and then hit the field again early afternoon.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
My mountain food doesn't change any whether a day hunt or a multi-day. I need to keep a steady diet to stay regular and healthy in the woods. I don't take a stove unless I plan to spike out for the night. I take 2L of water in addition to a full bottle on the hip. I always have my water filter with me to seize an opportunity to fill up. I have my one MH at night. We are thinking of doing the MH in the morning, but have not done it more than a time or two.

Huntinguy0120

May 29, 2012
Northern CA
Well said. Big breakfast in the morning with LOTS of fluids. I carry 2 liters of water, a "life-straw" and iodine tablets. For lunch I usually only carry a piece or two of jerky, candy bar and some trail mix, plus a Gatorade.

However.

I never leave camp without water, fire and light. Those are almost as important as a knife, rope and tags.

Mountain10mm

Jun 8, 2016
Colorado
2 liters of water in a bladder, 2 hardy sandwiches, some chocolate/fruit/poptarts or other quick energy source, and a few packs of instant coffee with metal cup. If I need a coffee that bad, I'll build a small fire in a safe spot. If it's really warm, then either my buddy or I will carry a water filter - I always have iodine tablets in my pack, but they are a last resort. We are usually out all day too, 5AM to 6PM.