D14 bucks

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Hey guys, I was wondering, for next year, does anyone know of a good place to take deer for processing? If so, what is the average cost? Thanks for any advise
It depends were you live..... There's a place in San Jacinto called cliffs meats. That's where I go. The price varies depends on how you want your meat processed and what you want made.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
I take mine to Pomona Meat Processing they make great hot dogs with cheese and jalapeno peppers....yummy. They charge about $80.00 for the meat processing and about $20.00 for 10 pounds of hotdogs (Well worth the price!).

Last edited:

EasyE

Sep 23, 2013
I went to Franks wholesale in San Bernardino this year as a referral and it looks like I got hosed! $4.50 a lb. Althought all his cuts were perfect, jerky is amazing, and very good sausage, $500 is a bit outrageous!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Hey guys, I was wondering, for next year, does anyone know of a good place to take deer for processing? If so, what is the average cost? Thanks for any advise
Guys I have a suggestion.....do your own. It is not that hard to do/learn and you get to control the quality and have the cuts you want. You really never know if you are getting your own meat back at a processor. I was burned back in the 80's in Wyoming and have never had a processor since then.

Just sayin.........

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I went to Franks wholesale in San Bernardino this year as a referral and it looks like I got hosed! $4.50 a lb. Althought all his cuts were perfect, jerky is amazing, and very good sausage, $500 is a bit outrageous!
What did you take him an elk! LOL, that is really high. I usually get 10lbs of smoked jerky, 10lbs of smoked summer sausage, back strap filets and the rest ground into different types of breakfast sausages and ground meat for burgers and meatloaf's. It's never been over $175. With out any jerky or summer sausage, its usually around $120 depending on how much it weighs.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I did my own this year, but it dose take some time to cut off a lot of the silver skin and prepare it for packing. If I don't have the time to do it, it's well worth the price to drop it off at the butcher......... if you have a good one. I've been going to my butcher for the last five years and always give him a good tip. I've never had a problem with them taking care of me. Heck he will even meet me over there after hours and the days they are closed to drop off a animal.

Last edited:

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I got hosed in Colorado on an elk I had taken in for me while on a drop camp in 1993. Got back and the butcher never touched it. Just froze the quarters, etc. Took home and cut up. Took a buck to Cherry Valley Meat Locker in 1985. He lost the whole deer. I knew him well too. I think he ground it up for meals at his 3D archery shoots he put on. Last times hosed was this scam they use on out of state hunter's calling it a rush and charging you an extra 100 bucks. happened in Wy. 2003 and 2005. Have done my own since 1979 to present unless I have no option. I agree it can be a lot of work. I've done 8 elk at home. It's a 3 day affair for me and swear everytime never again !

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I got hosed in Colorado on an elk I had taken in for me while on a drop camp in 1993. Got back and the butcher never touched it. Just froze the quarters, etc. Took home and cut up. Took a buck to Cherry Valley Meat Locker in 1985. He lost the whole deer. I knew him well too. I think he ground it up for meals at his 3D archery shoots he put on. Last times hosed was this scam they use on out of state hunter's calling it a rush and charging you an extra 100 bucks. happened in Wy. 2003 and 2005. Have done my own since 1979 to present unless I have no option. I agree it can be a lot of work. I've done 8 elk at home. It's a 3 day affair for me and swear everytime never again !
It is a lot of work, but you know what you have, as it has never left your possession from the time of kill. No "mixed meat" like you get from the volume Colorado processors, no hair, no dirt, etc., and (hopefully) you will never lose your own deer. I bought a Gamesaver (HD Foodsaver) a couple of years ago, which is something that I swore I would never do, but a bargain price of a SHOT Show sample changed my mind. Sorry that I did not get one sooner. My previous method was one wrap with clear food grade plastic wrap (nor saran wrap), and two wrappings with coated butcher paper. That takes a tremendous amount of time with a big deer or bear, and an eternity with an elk. I can accomplish the same thing with the Gamesaver in one-third the time using HD bags and vacuum seal. Even faster last year because I convinced one of my grand-daughters how much fun it was, and she did all of the vacuum sealing, plus I already have volunteers for this year.:cool:

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
It is a lot of work, but you know what you have, as it has never left your possession from the time of kill. No "mixed meat" like you get from the volume Colorado processors, no hair, no dirt, etc., and (hopefully) you will never lose your own deer. I bought a Gamesaver (HD Foodsaver) a couple of years ago, which is something that I swore I would never do, but a bargain price of a SHOT Show sample changed my mind. Sorry that I did not get one sooner. My previous method was one wrap with clear food grade plastic wrap (nor saran wrap), and two wrappings with coated butcher paper. That takes a tremendous amount of time with a big deer or bear, and an eternity with an elk. I can accomplish the same thing with the Gamesaver in one-third the time using HD bags and vacuum seal. Even faster last year because I convinced one of my grand-daughters how much fun it was, and she did all of the vacuum sealing, plus I already have volunteers for this year.:cool:
Hey Saw,
I use a vacuum sealer also. I have a big one and a small one. I just use the big one with 8 and 11 in. bags. It's the only way to go. Been using since 2006. Last a long time in the freezer too. I've had 3 yr. old meat with no problems. The HD bags are sometimes hard to find. Man, I haven't been on the Forum since Dec. ???? See you in a few months... Hope you had a great time in Mammoth and got some scouting in you old fart. :)))

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Hey Saw,
I use a vacuum sealer also. I have a big one and a small one. I just use the big one with 8 and 11 in. bags. It's the only way to go. Been using since 2006. Last a long time in the freezer too. I've had 3 yr. old meat with no problems. The HD bags are sometimes hard to find. Man, I haven't been on the Forum since Dec. ???? See you in a few months... Hope you had a great time in Mammoth and got some scouting in you old fart. :)))
Found some HD vacuum sealer bags on Amazon, and ordered a couple of rolls to try. The rolls are big (50'), but the price is definitely right. I did a few test packs before I left, and they seem to work fine. I will send you the brand name of the ones I ordered when I get home (still in Mammoth). Very warm here. NO snow. Going to invite my wife to go for a ride today (X9A) :rolleyes:.

Sevy

Apr 24, 2014
So. Cal. Mountains
Hi Guys...
I'm a newbee to the forum and just saw this thread today.
I too have been hunting D-14 for several year as I live smack dab in the middle of it. You all have had some nice deer taken out and I commend that. It's not an easy zone to find shooters I know that. I've seen nice deer nearly every year I hunt but this last weekend gave me pause.... While hiking/scouting with my 15 year old son near Wild Horse Meadows we ran smack dab into I'm guessing a 100 + young adult Lion near the bottom of the drainage some 150-175 yards out. After a moment my son (wisely) asked that we move on. :( Nearly an hour later we were within a 1/4 mile of the truck when at the top of the same drainage we saw a second cat. Now it may very well have been the same one (more than likely) but that was one long 1/4 let me tell you.
I'm wondering if the cat population in d-14 is on a serious incline? Any of you hear anything. I've seen only one other in all my years in the area.
I don't generally carry a firearm in the forest when not hunting but after this past weekend....I believe I may start.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Welcome to the forum sevy, I know a few people that have seen big cats in d 14. All the years I've been hunting up there I'm surprised I haven't ran into when yet. I've just seen Cat tracks every season. I have also gotten several trail camera pictures of them in a few different locations of the forest. I almost always carry just in case something happens like the very incident you talked about. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Do you have any pictures of bucks you have taken from D14?

Sevy

Apr 24, 2014
So. Cal. Mountains
Thanks for the welcome. This is a great resource and a knowledgeable group of folks on here.
I have some "before and after" pix I'll put up when I back into town. I believe you are correct that it's better to have than have not in this case. I used to carry but had a few hikers over the years get a little weirded out by the "firearm packin camo guy" so I just kinda stopped. Well now I got my kids to worry about so the heck with em ;)

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
The hiker issue can be awkward for some. Most the areas I scout have little to no activity, so my situation would be different. You might want to check the laws as well. A bear spray could be another option.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Hey guys be careful while driving and traveling in D14. Seems like its getting worse every year. Just recently while my buddy was in Seven Oaks area hiking and walking his dogs, he was suddenly approached by several juveniles (16-18 yrs old) armed with sticks and bats. The subjects demanded my buddies money. My buddy said this was the first time he was not armed, which is rare because he is a gun nut and is always armed. My buddies dog (Rottweiler) picked up on the subjects threatening behavior and started barking and lunging at them. The dog scared the subjects away and made them get back into their vehicle and flee. My buddy got in his truck and went after the subjects. The subjects were driving so fast they ended up loosing control of their vehicle and drove off a side hill and crashed into a tree. The subjects then fled on foot through the trees leaving the vehicle behind.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Wow, that's scary. I hope the criminals get caught and that your friend remembers to stay armed next time.