D14 bucks

Genetp

Aug 19, 2013
I understand now it's that space ship i seen out there. Well the cameras are back up. I will pull them tomorrow Friday and see what is there. I still think it is a cool place to hunt and know I will leave with a Buck :) Cross my fingers, throw salt over my shoulder, and knock on wood all the way there. Even a prayer. I live in Apple Valley about 1 hour from the spot. So i can go back and forth if need be. Thanks for all your help......

tonytrim

Oct 6, 2012
So Cal
So, a group of us went out to D19 this weekend at a yellow post site that rangers have never even visited while the group has been using for the last 20 years. We received 3 visits and notice to vacate because of govt shutdown. When we refused, they gave us 24 hrs or $10, 000 fine and or 6 mths in jail. Total bs.hopefully the funding happens before this weekend in D14.

Genetp

Aug 19, 2013
Well I had cameras set up all summer with pictures of nice bucks. Not a one seen on opening day. Try through the week see what I can find. So any starting point is good!!!!

seigex

Oct 15, 2013
I was out two separate days this weekend up and around 2N49, first time at D14 also. Saw 2 deer (couldn't make out buck or doe) in the distance on opening day, and 3 does yesterday, but no bucks unfortunately.

EasyE

Sep 23, 2013
Hunted D14 for the first time this year. Saturday (opening day) I saw 3 spikes, 6 doe 3 fawns and a huge 10 point buck. Big buck was about 250yds away but couldnt get a good shot. Day went on and I tried tracking him down and never seen him again. Went back out on Sunday and ran into 5 more deer and finally this unique 2x3-ish that I was able to take a clean neck shot at from about 120 yds. There is alot of life out there and very good healthy sized. I've been hunting up in Nor-Cal D-6 for for the last couple of years and hope to take something up there this year.... Good luck all!
Buck.jpg

Last edited:

Jorge1636

Oct 17, 2013
Where abouts did you see those buck any help I can get will be appreciated it's my first year hunting

Last edited:

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Well, I'm tagged out for deer in D-14, I filled both my tags. I saw lots of bucks this year during archery and rifle season, now time to bear hunt! I took the 3x3 opening day and the 4x3 this last weekend.
photo (3) d-14 3x3.jpgphoto (1) d-14 4x3.jpgphoto (2) D-14 4x3.jpg

EasyE

Sep 23, 2013
Good work bigshot. Nice pair you got there. Bear will be fun, ill be in D14 for bear as well, this is my first year.
Good luck.

2Bigbuck44

Oct 24, 2013
Nice job....used to hunt that area years ago before I moved out of state. I know it had been in decline, and was thinking the growing Cougar populations and Coyote populations might be why, as well as worsening habitat conditions. It's good to see some decent bucks though! Are deer herds improving in D-14?

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Thanks guys, good luck this weekend Muleys 24/7, Baby backs (4x4), is still out there waiting for ya......go get him!

Hey 2Bigbuck44 welcome to the forum, Over all, I personally do believe the herd is on a decline, but I think it's from poachers, Mt Lions and coyotes as a whole. The habitat has improved greatly from all the fires we've had the last ten years. The bucks I took this year had an inch of fat along their backs!

Last edited: