Crispi Colorado

muleyfool

Jun 7, 2018
Thanks for the reminder.
On order, should have them next week.
I'll let you know how they stack up to the Lowas and kenetrek.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I am awaiting the arrival of my first pair of Crispi boots. I found the perfect boots for me, but unfortunately they are no longer available. Those were the Meindl Perfekt Hikers that Cabela's no longer sells. My last pair lasted 8 years, and a do have a nearly new pair of Meindl Hunters for this falls elk hunt. I need a wide boot, with a stiff sole for early season treks, and I also wear it every day. I did a lot of looking around and reading reviews, and found the Crispi Valdres GTX at Midway USA. I will give a follow up report after some initial use.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I really like my valdres. Holding up well and good support while packing and backpacking without feeling stiff while unloaded. Virtually zero breakin time for me.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
My initial reaction to the Valdres after wearing them a few days. First off, it appears to be a very high quality boot, but it has a piece of junk footbed. I replaced the footbed with the Meindl footbed, and it was a huge improvement. The boot feels stiffer than my Hikers were, and will require some breakin, but so far I have developed no hotspots or blisters. There is a loop at the back to assist putting them on, but it is too small for anything but my little finger. I don't carry a boot jack around with me, but maybe they will be easier to get on after a break-in. It sounds like I am nit-picking, but we shall see down the road.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
I have the summit gtx. You are right about the loop in the back don't do any good. Just don't seem like a $300 boot, but I guess we'll see.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I am awaiting the arrival of my first pair of Crispi boots. I found the perfect boots for me, but unfortunately they are no longer available. Those were the Meindl Perfekt Hikers that Cabela's no longer sells. My last pair lasted 8 years, and a do have a nearly new pair of Meindl Hunters for this falls elk hunt. I need a wide boot, with a stiff sole for early season treks, and I also wear it every day. I did a lot of looking around and reading reviews, and found the Crispi Valdres GTX at Midway USA. I will give a follow up report after some initial use.
Looking forward to your update. The Perfekt Hikers are my all time favorite boots. I have a pair that's several years old and still going strong, but I hate that they quit making them. I hate everything that BassPro is doing to Cabela's, but that's another story..... I just bought the last pair of Perfekt Hikers from Cabela's Bargain Cave. Paid only $69.99, but they're not EE width. I typically wear 11.5 EE. The new ones are 12 D. I figured they'd be close to right, and they are. Just a bit narrow, but not terrible. Still not the perfect fit that my old 11.5 EEs are though. I'd love to find another boot that fits and performs as good as the Meindls.

muleyfool

Jun 7, 2018
Got the Colorado's to the hills today. Very comfortable boots with awesome ankle support system. Been wearing them almost daily for 3 weeks and I'm impressed. They're definitely going into my early season arsenal. My 2cents when comparing to my other boots:
Colorado's have the edge over kenetrek mountain extremes 400 (these boots are great for late season).
" very slight edge over Lowa Tibet Hi
Lowa Bighorn GTX slight edge over Colorado's ( Lowa's lacing system is hard to beat).
I wouldn't leave any of them behind when on a huntin trip.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
What's the proper lacing system for the Crispi Valderes? There's a cloth loop at the flex point ( where Meindl has a set-back lace hook). If I lace thru this loop, I can't quick tie the boots because the laces are caught on the lower quick hooks. So far, I find that there isn't quite enough support if I just skip the cloth loop, but it works so-so by going straight up to the cloth loop before criss-crossing again. I've looked on u-tube but didn't find anything helpful.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I run mine through the cloth loop. And yes it's a PITA! But it works best for my feet in this configuration. Not sure if it's the intended way or not?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Update on the Valdres after a couple weeks of "pack training". The boots have become far more comfortable, with no hot spots. I rolled my ankle a couple different times while speed walking on a rough trail, and the boots saved me from any injury. As I add weight to the pack, I'll add hiking poles and slow down some, so don't expect any issues. I never had to break in my Meindl boots, but it's a necessary part of the process with this Crispi boot.

Reactions: archeranthony

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Final update on the Crispi Valdres: After wearing the boots every day for six weeks and hiking 150 miles with a pack in prep for my Colorado trip, I finally took them out west. I packed through some really rugged, crappy, and high elevation trails, and also a fair amount of bushwacking. I really ended up loving this boot; it is stiffer than the Meindl's, but for this type of trip it was exactly what I needed. I likely covered 40+ miles, a third of that with a heavy pack. No blisters, hot spots, ankle or foot injuries. The lace system is still a PIA, but it does ensure that everything is tight and supportive. I will still pick up a pair of the Meindl hikers from Meindl USA for everyday use, but these Crispi boots will be my warmer weather mountain boots for the for see-able future.