Coyote hunting in this warm weather?

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
Has anyone had any luck calling coyotes in with these record high temps we have been having? It seems like the dogs are fairly inactive right now. I think that they are just content to sit around and enjoy the nice weather, since they are not having to forage as much to keep the calories up like they have to do with cold weather. Sure could use a good cold snap to get things going.

We are having the same thing out here in Northern California. It has been a month and a half since we have had rain. We are still having good luck with the coyote calling though. In fact we have our 5 annual coyote contest this month! Should be a good one. This is a pic from last year. I'll post the new one as soon as I get it. I will say that mid day hunting has sucked. We are getting most of them in the morning and late afternoon.
2011coyoteshoot.jpg

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
We are having the same thing out here in Northern California. It has been a month and a half since we have had rain. We are still having good luck with the coyote calling though. In fact we have our 5 annual coyote contest this month! Should be a good one. This is a pic from last year. I'll post the new one as soon as I get it. I will say that mid day hunting has sucked. We are getting most of them in the morning and late afternoon.
View attachment 2332
Gamehog, is this with a hunting club that you do the contest with each year? Is it on public or private land? It sure looks like your group does a good job at thinning out the coyotes and keeping them in check. Nice picture also by the way!

Gamehog, is this with a hunting club that you do the contest with each year? Is it on public or private land? It sure looks like your group does a good job at thinning out the coyotes and keeping them in check. Nice picture also by the way!
Kevin, No it's just a bunch of local Northern California hunters getting together for a good time. Hunters are allowed to hunt any place they want. Just as long as you are back by the time set by the judge. Some guys hunt in Nevada! DFG is not in favor of us doing this every year. They bring out 10 or more wardens and even air craft to catch someone messing up. Oh well:eek:

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Kevin, No it's just a bunch of local Northern California hunters getting together for a good time. Hunters are allowed to hunt any place they want. Just as long as you are back by the time set by the judge. Some guys hunt in Nevada! DFG is not in favor of us doing this every year. They bring out 10 or more wardens and even air craft to catch someone messing up. Oh well:eek:
Are they bringing the wardens in Nv? Or Ca?

outdoors4life

Feb 21, 2011
Miles City MT
Jenness- It has been really slow over here at Miles CIty as well. Have had a couple come in and just sit at like 800 yards. Will not come in any closer. Seems like some people are having better luck howling them in. Good luck!!

hvfd21walker

Dec 18, 2011
Bitteroots
Its been slow over here in western Montana to. I would really like to head over east to get some bobcats and yotes. Any of you eastern Montana guys have any good places you wouldnt mind sharing. Thanks.

Ranchhand02

Jan 3, 2012
Western Oklahoma
It has been warm here in western oklahoma also. Yesterday it was 72 at my house. Not bad for the last day of january. The hunting has been slow here also. I am hoping to go out this weekend and try and call some coyotes. One good thing about this warm weather is the crappie should be biting soon.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State