Could not pull the trigger on the high cost of tags

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I have nothing good to say about nonresident prices...so I won't.

If you live in the eastern human jungle you're best option is to leave and move to your favorite state. You only live once. No regrets.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Who's the common man? Seems like every other guy around here is driving a lifted $50k diesel. Last hunting season, every non resident I spoke too in the field was running an atv or side by side. I'd drive by some of their camps and there'd be fancy trailers and newer trucks. Seems to me it comes down to priorities and discipline with saving money. If you can't figure it out, yer probably better off hunting yer home state...

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
who's the common man? Seems like every other guy around here is driving a lifted $50k diesel. Last hunting season, every non resident i spoke too in the field was running an atv or side by side. I'd drive by some of their camps and there'd be fancy trailers and newer trucks. Seems to me it comes down to priorities and discipline with saving money. If you can't figure it out, yer probably better off hunting yer home state...
^^^^^^this^^^^^^

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Who's the common man? Seems like every other guy around here is driving a lifted $50k diesel. Last hunting season, every non resident I spoke too in the field was running an atv or side by side. I'd drive by some of their camps and there'd be fancy trailers and newer trucks. Seems to me it comes down to priorities and discipline with saving money. If you can't figure it out, yer probably better off hunting yer home state...
Unfortunately what you described is "normal". Plan ahead, save money, and pay cash!

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
Well said. I do one out of state hunt per year. I also drive a 2004 Ford Ranger with 189,000 miles on it. I will replace it when it craps out but I would rather do out of state hunts until it does with the extra money.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I trap and sell enough furs generally to pay for 1 outa state hunt per year.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
91. 2500gmc 254k but I know what you mean, I have a buddy that really doesn't make a whole lot but he has all the best gear you can imagine, a 60k diesel, awesome river boat... u name it. he's just in debt up to his eyeballs. I need to buy a new truck but will still get an older 90s truck, pay cash for it and not have to make $300+ payments a month. that's my hunting money:) oh, and a percentage of the money I make off of lawn mowing goes straight into my hunting funds.... after everything else is paid off.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I drive a '99 F250 with 230,000 miles but economic opportunity isn't the reason I choose to live where I live. I made the choice to live here because of the amazing hunting opportunities and lifestyle Wyoming has to offer.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
91. 2500gmc 254k but I know what you mean, I have a buddy that really doesn't make a whole lot but he has all the best gear you can imagine, a 60k diesel, awesome river boat... u name it. he's just in debt up to his eyeballs. I need to buy a new truck but will still get an older 90s truck, pay cash for it and not have to make $300+ payments a month. that's my hunting money:) oh, and a percentage of the money I make off of lawn mowing goes straight into my hunting funds.... after everything else is paid off.
By living within our means my wife and I were able to retire at 56 and 52. We have very modest pensions but never overextended oursevles and kept our bills to a minimum. Yet we always took our kids on a two week vacation every summer and I have always taken at lest one week long hunting trip every year since we were married in 1984, plus numerous small game and fishing trips with my son. I'm just saying that with a little planning you can really enjoy your later years without having to work until you drop dead and still never have your bills paid off.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I pulled the trigger today and bought a new truck (used...new to me). I bought a 2012 Ford F350 crew cab, long bed , 4x4, diesel with only 27,000 miles on it. Less than 1/2 the price of a new one. Traded in my old 1999 F350.

I just couldn't justify spending $60+ thou for a new truck. I can afford it, but being retired, I can't replace the ,$$$ I would spend. Used one in great shape makes lots more sense!!
My old 1999 truck had 250,000 miles on it and the main reason I bought a newer one was we are going to Alaska for 10 to 12 weeks in the summer of 2016. Wanted a truck with less miles on it. My wife and I both retired when we were 58 and live very comfortably. Our place is paid for and don't owe anyone a nickel. I could afford to go out of state every year, but I would mostly have to go alone as most of my hunting buddies can't afford it or are too old now. I will be 74 in a few months and that is one of the reasons I do more guided hunts than before. It's too bad my son is a workaholic, owns his own trucking business and all he does is work. Would love to go with him more than a few days a year.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
For much of my law enforcement career, I deferred a good chunk of income to a second retirement account. That has become my "play money" account, and has funded five guided trips. I've been able to sneak in even more DIY hunts. Everyone I worked with had new trucks,cars,toys, and expensive vacations, while I always bought used vehicles for cash. Our family trips were road trips to explore the west, and we don't regret any of it. Above all other hunts, I would love to do a long multi-species hunt hunt in the Yukon, Alaska, or B.C., but likely would never allow myself to spend 30K to do so. CARPE DIEM

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
It is amazing that Colorado charges what they do for ultra low success rates on over the counter and even more amazing that Thousands upon thousands are happy to pay it every year.
It's a CHANCE to hunt species that are more than likely not available in ones home state. The states will continue to sell these tags to the hunters with the deepest pockets. It's becoming a rich man's sport, the handwriting is on the wall. Some guys just want the hunting opportunity...filling the tag is just icing.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I trap and sell enough furs generally to pay for 1 outa state hunt per year.
I do the same but I'm not the greatest trapper I still have to find other creative ways such as selling firewood and brush. Both of my boys are teenagers and I bring them with me now and get them tags as well so it gets harder to come up with the money every year but we find a way.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I drive a '99 F250 with 230,000 miles but economic opportunity isn't the reason I choose to live where I live. I made the choice to live here because of the amazing hunting opportunities and lifestyle Wyoming has to offer.
Exactly the same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Hey Colorado Cowboy nice find on the diesel truck. You found the truck I was looking for. Enjoy it and your planned trip to Alaska. That trip is on my bucket list when my wife joins me in retirement.
Thanks. This my 4th Ford diesel and have loved them all. We have a 2011 28' Denali travel trailer and are really excited about the Alaska adventure. I am planning on staying until around until late August/early Sept and hunt Moose.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Great plan for a great trip CC. My wife and I plan on something similar in the next few years, so I'll be interested in how it all goes for you. For all you young guys out there who are new to the forum. Pay close attention to Colorado Cowboy's posts as that old boy is one to ride the river with. He is in his 70's, but still finds ways to do stuff that most guys in their 40's think they're too old for.