Coues Deer

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Ok, someone explain to me why shooting a midget version of a whitetail gets people excited? I understand the country they live in is fun to hunt, but I can't imagine seeing a deer that just cracks 100" and getting all hot and bothered over it. What am I missing?

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
Coues deer hunting is awesome! You could say the same for whitetails: Why is shooting a midget version of the mule deer fun? Why does everyone get excited about 150" whitetails when mule deer regularly break 200". Hardly anyone knows about Coues deer and if you get in the bckcountry, they can grow really big! I love hunting every deer: Coues, whitetails, and mulies! But just because one deer's antlers aren't as big as another type of deer doesn't mean that their any less fun to hunt!

Last edited:

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
This was obviously directed at my last thread. If you had any idea of what a big Coues deer was, you'd be excited too! Obviously you don't know what a monster Coues deer is. If he had his other brow tine, he would easily be in the top 15 typical Coues deer in the New Mexico record books!

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Nah, not directed at your thread, but it did remind me of something I've thought of for years.

Whitetail and Mule deer have different horn configurations, but I get your point.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
I've bowhunted a heck of a lot of different critters at one time or another........stalking a Coues deer with a bow and arrow is one of the toughest critters I've chased. They are tough, IMO. It isn't all about the overall antler size to me, but the the difficulty and elusiveness of the animal I hunt as well. Give it a try, you might be surpprised. Same could be said about Columbian Balcktail versus mule deer.