Costco Trekking Poles

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
How's the weight?

I don't have any yet.... but planned to get some if I ever did a long hike, backpack, etc... mountain hunt.

was reading about the premium poles being carbon fiber now.....ultra light...strong....I assumed I'd get some of those when I needed em.

Reactions: THelms

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I own like five pairs and love them. They're so cheap I bought a few just to keep in certain places so I always have them (one in my main backpacking pack, one in the truck, etc.) They've actually had a few slightly different versions over the years so I can't speak for what they're currently selling, but mine are 20oz for the pair.

They're not SUPER strong, especially at full extension, and I've broken one or two. But as long as you're careful they can easily handle tasks like acting as a stretcher between antlers to carry out a skull on a pack.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I cannot be the only person who uses these suckers! I'm on year 5 with the same pair and just bought two more sets for $29.99 apiece over the weekend. These things are awesome for the price.

Change my mind!
What state are you in? tried looking them up online, didn't see any....

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I just spent 4 days at the grand canyon. Everybody has these. I have never owned any. I think they are a pain in the ass, especially with binoculars.
You need to get a binocular harness to keep them on your chest.

I don't use trecking poles but do use a walking stick that I got down in Arizona made from a yucca stem.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I did not think I would ever use poles. When I went on my barberry sheep hunt in New Mexico I bought a set. With the straps around your wrist they are easy to keep up with. I can say in that God forsaken country They ended up being a blessing. I know for sure they prevented me from falling several times. I will not go with out a pair from now on.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have found that when hiking around during my hunts in Arizona that a walking stick is worth it's weight. In the desert there is nothing holding the rocks on the ground other than gravity, all the dirt has been washed away and it is very easy to loose your balance when trucking across a side hill.