Corner Crossing

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
This is going to be an interesting one that has potential to have ripple effects for a very long time.

Reactions: DH56

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Personally I have never corner crossed because I dont feel like fist fighting it out with some ranch hand when I am on vacation. Not saying I wouldn't do it in the future if I have some ground to stand on regarding case law.....

The real tragedy is that we have all of this land that isn't accessible without having to get into a fist fight with some dipshit cowboy ranch hand or a legal battler with some millionaire ranch master...

If these guys win I hope they press harassment charges against the ranch owner.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
There needs to be some sort of understanding that the landowners cannot build obstruction for corner crossing to access our public land as well. If you read within the lawsuit, the landowner mentioned building a bigger fence or obstruction to eliminate the crossing if he loses.
This does not only affect the non-resident but many residents are affected and upset as well.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Rancher filed a lawsuit against the hunters recently= It's bad enough with hunting opportunities dwindling due to several factors, which this just adds to the problem for many everyday DIY hunters trying to hunt "public" property.

jake

Oct 7, 2013
wisconsin
There needs to be some sort of understanding that the landowners cannot build obstruction for corner crossing to access our public land as well. If you read within the lawsuit, the landowner mentioned building a bigger fence or obstruction to eliminate the crossing if he loses.
This does not only affect the non-resident but many residents are affected and upset as well.
I just pay the Rancher for the privilege of hunting his ranch. Our group has done this for 25 years and we are practically family now. Getting to know how much work and so little returns rancher’s experience will give you a different view on this.

Reactions: Slugz

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Id highly recommend all educate themselves by reading Eastman's articles and listening to Newberg's 3 part pod cast ( on you tube also) If you do that you will be smarter on the subject than 95% of the people commenting all over the inter web out there.

IMO some really really interesting stuff, gives perspective from different views, education on laws, courts and history lessons. I think its important for all to get smart on this.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I listened to over 3 hours of Randy Newberg's podcast and I don't think I learned much. the attorneys spent all that time on background and really didn't give much in the way of opinion. I think this goes all the way to the US Supreme Court to get settled if the people involved have the money and time.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
It will be interesting how the fund raising goes post the 90/10 vote. I think fewer non-residents are going to be willing to spend money on the cause based on threads I'm reading on other forums.

Reactions: Winchester

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Here's what I know since I've been involved in it, interviewed a dozen times or more, and talk with the defendants regularly.

The court date has been moved to late April. The elk mountain ranch has filed civil suits against all 4 defendants and the out of touch with reality county attorney has threatened to file title 23 trespass on 3 of the 4 hunters from the previous year.

There has been 5 motions to dismiss filed by the attorneys for the civil and criminal cases.

As to where this ends up, depends on the outcome of all the he cases but we have a strategy for all contingencies.

The way the attorneys have framed this case there are narrow windows to appeal to the USSC and a better avenue to Wyoming supreme court.

The carbon county attorney is also in receipt of formally filed complaints of hunter harassment but has not filed charges.

There is also very likely going to be another case filed with the State attorneys office over illegaly denying access to public lands by elk mountain ranch.

Buckle up...

Reactions: D_Dubya

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Here's what I know since I've been involved in it, interviewed a dozen times or more, and talk with the defendants regularly.

The court date has been moved to late April. The elk mountain ranch has filed civil suits against all 4 defendants and the out of touch with reality county attorney has threatened to file title 23 trespass on 3 of the 4 hunters from the previous year.

There has been 5 motions to dismiss filed by the attorneys for the civil and criminal cases.

As to where this ends up, depends on the outcome of all the he cases but we have a strategy for all contingencies.

The way the attorneys have framed this case there are narrow windows to appeal to the USSC and a better avenue to Wyoming supreme court.

The carbon county attorney is also in receipt of formally filed complaints of hunter harassment but has not filed charges.

There is also very likely going to be another case filed with the State attorneys office over illegaly denying access to public lands by elk mountain ranch.

Buckle up...
Buzz, why has the county attorney not filed harassment charges?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I listened to over 3 hours of Randy Newberg's podcast and I don't think I learned much. the attorneys spent all that time on background and really didn't give much in the way of opinion. I think this goes all the way to the US Supreme Court to get settled if the people involved have the money and time.
Yeah they cant give too many opinions as they open themselves up for suits against them. I thought they did tie history and precedence together well which IMO will make some very interesting arguments. Of those, most I see siding with the hunters.

Reactions: BuzzH

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
It will be interesting how the fund raising goes post the 90/10 vote. I think fewer non-residents are going to be willing to spend money on the cause based on threads I'm reading on other forums.
If us non residents think this is just a Wyoming issue and it wont set precedence IF it goes to the US Supreme Court....well then nuff said.
IF it stays in Wyoming then I don't think it will change much in other states. That's just my interpretation of what I've learned recently. I acknowledge up front I may be wrong on that point also.