Considering taking my boy for a hunt.....

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
So this year my oldest is nine and has always wanted to go hunting with me. I have taken my boys scouting and gopher shooting and camping. They have grown up going deep in the back country. So he is not new to it, just not a hunt.
I know he would not be perfectly quiet, and will try his hardest to do everything right,( he has aspergers) so to him if I say so then it's black and white law. Is is good sometimes and not so much others.
He doesn't notice the cold too much which is good for the early mornings. He literally lives in Camo. We have to convince him there are nice looking plane colors to wear...even to church. I sent him this morning upstairs to put away his camo hoodie. It's going to be 100 degrees today!

I am a self taught hunter. Never had a father take me out to hunt. He did teach me to shoot both guns and bows from a very young age. I want to teach my boys how it all comes together. He won't be hunting I would, but I want him along at some point before he turns twelve and can hunt. The oldest in my opinion is ready for a trip..

so for those here help me with some advice, memories, good and bad, and anything that I can consider in respect of a first trip with dad.

Young guys, tell me what was most important on your first trip with dad. Old guys( and guys like myself that are convinced we are still high school heros and not old yet ) tell me what it's like wih your young ones on a hunt and considerations I might need to have.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
For starters, I have considered proper attire for feet, as well as layers to keep him field fit. I will get him a small pack like a hydration pack so he can pack his own water and his "survival" gear. Teach him compass navigation, field cooking, and expand on his tracking skills and calling. This is really as far as I got then it occurred....you guys were gonna be a great resource to ask!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
good for you wolftalon. good for you! i think that if you go with the mindset that you wont harvest anygame, and make your mind set that it is strictly a chance to show and teach your son what you do itll turn out to be an amazing adventure and any game harvested would be an added bonus. im the youngest of 6 boys and it drove me mad not being able to go with the "guys" on their hunting trips till i was 12, that first year was an eye opener for me, i had no idea what i was up against. being told to hike through a nasty forest to push deer, where bigfoot lived wasnt fun....:cool: i take my 7 year old with me hiking all the time, and show him every track we find, show him diff plants, teach him whats dangerous and whats not. when he is of age to hunt with me i want him to know more than i did at that age. i think what you are doing is wonderfull and i wish u the best of luck.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Wolf, it sound like your little guy is definitely ready to go hunting and will love it.

I have 5 sons and a daughter (youngest). My first son went on his first hunt at 4 months old as he slept in a little nest of blankets on the floorboard on an antelope hunt.

By the time my boys were 5 they were regularly joining me on hunt int trips. Obviously it had to be a hunt they could go on and enjoy. When they were really little, it was usually on hunts that were primarily vehicle based, like a Wyoming antelope hunt. That way we could take little hikes and get back in the truck when they got tired. They would help me glass and loved to look at game through the spotting scope.

My oldest took an out of state trip with me on a moose hunt in Utah when he was only 4. He still remembers seeing the bull come in, me shooting it, trying to drag it out in my truck and getting it stuck and hiking out to the road and asking if the road crew guys could could pull me out (gave the guy a chunk of backstrap).

I remember when application season rolled around and I had to choose, do I apply for the hunt "I" want that I would do on my own and maybe get a bigger animal, or do I apply for a hunt my boys can join me on. Even though I felt conflicted at times wanting to hunt for a better "trophy", I would come back around to the fact that it is far more about the relationships I am developing with my boys than the size of the animal I take. Far more often then not I was also blessed with a nice trophy besides the memories with my children.

One example was back in 2005 when I had a pile of points for Colorado mule deer. I chose to apply for a unit near Gunnison in the late season. The unit had good vehicle access and we could stay in a cabin in the evenings. I took my three youngest boys (11 years old, 9 years old and 7 years old). We had a fantastic time. Every night when we came in from hunting we'd go to the grocery and let them pick what they wanted for dinner. Every night I cooked steak...lol. Great memories. I took a nice buck that hunt too on the last evening.

You wanted the "bad" as well. There was one time taking my boys that did not result in the hunt I had "hoped" for. I drew a Nevada elk tag near Ely. Early in the hunt I realized it was just too physical for the boys, to the point their safety could be in jeopardy. I decided to end the hunt and I don't regret that decision.

I have really made a point not to share about this on here, but several years ago, I went through a divorce I did not want. It was very contentious (not my choice), heavy estrangement of the kids, and a quick remarriage to my former best friend. At my home, I got a digital picture frame and had numerous pictures of the kids and I doing things they loved together including our hunts together. When my kids would come over, they would just stare at those pictures and would reminisce about the times we shared. Ever so slowly the relationship was repaired. Though it still has a ways to go, things have come so far. Last night we celebrated a birthday, and enjoyed one of the best family times we have had in years.

This year will be my daughter's (youngest) first year to hunt. She cannot wait!

Take your son, and make it about him and a hunt he can enjoy. It will be worth it in the long run!

Last edited:

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I failed to mention camp! I have a nice elk camp that I set up. Wall tent, cots, wood stove, kitchen, shower etc. so I am not taking him pack hunting. I know a nice remote area that offers a great hunt with trophy and cows that will be great! I don't care if I harvest an elk, it's getting to see the big boy up there that keeps me coming back! Maybe this year would be the year and to have him there!!!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
As simple as it sounds... Remember to get him quality footwear, probably quite a bit warmer than what you would wear, and remember to walk slow, so he can keep up.

Nearly every memory I have of hunting with my dad when i was little, is a positive one, but I can remember some times where I was pretty sure my feet were gonna fall off, they were so cold.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
No son or daughter here to take with me. I am hoping that my nephew keeps the interest in hunting even though he is a little older now. I took him turkey hunting with me this year and he really took hold. He told me that this was nothing like what they sowed on the discovery channel!! I laughed to myself when he said it. Good luck with your boy!

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Keep the kid warm, and he will have fun.

My oldest (now 9) has been coming with me from age 4. It has mostly been antelope hunting, as the pickup usually isn't far away. Now he is hitting the age where the backcountry is an option.

Go for it. You love your kids, and you love hunting... might as well bring them together, eh?

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I would be willing to bet that he will be happy just being out there with dad. My only advice would be not to push him to hard and just have fun. A couple years ago I took my daughter out deer hunting at 2-1/2 years old.(her idea) We pretty much just went for a ride in the truck but she still had a great time. I did take the rifle, but more for the effect than for the deer. Still she thought we were hunting. Last year I took her a couple more times and we were able to walk some logging roads and she really had a blast. Each year seems to be more productive and she still keeps asking me to go. I havn't had to push her to go yet and that is the best part.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
The main thing to remember is that in your son's eyes, you are like a god. That's why it's so important to remain positive and have fun. Take note of all animal sign, and sounds, and use that as a teaching tool. Give him little chores around camp to give him purpose. Try not to put him in a position where he could mess up an opportunity for you. That would make him feel terrible. If you are successful, take your time with photos, and let him assist with field dressing. Have fun and good luck.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Good tips CA. I often get annoyed at my boys for getting into stuff. I will remember this trip is about teaching how to do it not watch me do it. I will even be positive if he busts a good shot. We all do it and its part of the game! I might cry just not in front of him haha.

Ok I have a new challenge. Trying to gear up my guy. I swear it sucks trying to camo up a little guy with gear worth my time and money. Two Sportsmans warehouses, and a cabelas in my vicinity. Crap for youth. So much for the big boys supporting the youth in this venture.
What have you guys found to get the young ones clothing? Maybe I am too early or something but I swear I sent one hell of an ugly note to SW today after the experience I had there.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Check out Kings Camo. They have a pretty good kids line and usually have a fair amount of stuff on close out. I hear ya on finding kids hunting stuff. It sucks!

MacDonald

May 2, 2013
North Central WA
I remember the first time I took "Mr. Moose" on a bowhunt-he's turning 30 next month-and still laugh about it. We were in the middle of a nasty divorce, and his mother really gave it her all to set him up for a rotten time. All the way to the area, he was saying how cruel this was, and how he really didn't want to see me hurt bambi-all the usual rubbish from his anti-hunting mother. We hike in, build a little hide, and pretty soon here comes this little spike. He stops broadside to us at maybe 10 yards, and my son's now whispering "SHOOT `IM, DAD!! SHOOT `IM". I got to explain that this was not legal, and we always need to obey the law, and besides, he'll grow up and be a fine deer someday. We walked back to camp and he was just on fire about the whole thing! He saw ethics up close, got to learn about deer, got to hear the little thing snort and blow, then bound away once we stood up and said "hi", and loves it to this day.

Now, as a certified "old guy", I'd strongly encourage you to take him hunting, and teach him the difference between hunting and killing. We go for the hunt, for the experience, not just for the blood. Most importantly, teach him that it's the hunter's duty to protect and work for the betterment of our prey. After all, if not us, then who?

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Only advise I could give is for you to mentally drop your standards on quality of game. Unless lady luck is on your side and high quality animals walks out in front of you, be prepared to take a lesser animal to share the experience with your boy.

I have a little 20 inch 4 pt muley that I took with my little girl that ranks up at the top.

Totally worth it.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Good tips guys. It's awesome to get so many diverse inputs. No one guy can figure it all out but as a community it's an awesome sample of experiences.
I don't trophy hunt. Now don't get me wrong, because out there is somewhere my taxidermy bill walking those hills. However for me the hunt is the game all the way. A harvest is the cake. A trophy is the icing.
Last year I got to play cat and mouse, and call, and challenge back and forth with my big toad. He is so weary and it so much a rush. He trashed a good 5" tree!!!! Was so awesome hearing him tear it up. I never got a shot at him and shortly after dropped a cow. My hunt was pure excitement and it was all about experiencing the animal.
l hope for my sons sake to call in my big boy. If we get him even better!

Winning isn't everything, wanting to is!