Colorado's Big Game Guide Book

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The Guide Book is now available online and you may have it in your mail box.

I haven't been over to the post office to check my mail yet so it could be there.

Reactions: Maxhunter

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The new reissue process is good. Opens it up for all now.

One quick question before I jump on the "Yeah train!".....and I am staying open minded as I possibly can about this...

Does this mean that now everyone will have the chance to view the list and for people (mostly residents with friends at sporting goods stores) who have access to machines to have their information plugged in on Wednesday to hit the enter button and pretty much "guarantee" themselves the tags of their choosing????? I see this preview of the list actually hurting my chances of drawing a "Re-issue" license....At least before I felt like it was a level playing field. Am I not looking at this correctly?

We all know that the machines trump the phone. And I for one am not going to be able to be the person standing at a machine on Wednesday after discovering my "dream tag" the night before.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Basically it will be like a "leftover day" every Wednesday at 11:00 MT....with the odds being greatly increased now for certain people with certain friends in certain places...before it was a pain for all, but IMHO it was more fair to all because they were RANDOMLY added and nobody could be sitting there with their finger on the trigger at any given time, especially those people who had to access a machine because they were not going to randomly stand there for weeks on end.... now it seems like the odds are severely stacked against "call in people" like me. Similar to leftover day when 10 archery elk tags for one specific unit disappeared in the first second of the leftover draw...telling me that there were in fact people with their fingers on the trigger....

Kinda like the groundhog of all leftover license days....

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
So take it for what its worth.......and I know yout not being a jerk😃

1) So the ability to get leftovers etc etc..
I never call in. I never wait in line. I do it all online. Has worked really well for me. To validate this. I was one of those guys in Saudi Arabia who pulled those tags. If I can do it from over seas I think very fair for all. So the amount of gold ole boy stuff going on.....had to be pretty low. BTW Ive done it three times now from over seas.

2) The resissue process. I think its more fair. Before if you were next in the list on the draw you got the phone call " do you want this tag" so it was only available to the draw order list. Now everyone has a chance to get it.

3) A large percentage of tags are sold at CPW offices and Wal Mart. If you have ever been in one Im sure you have seen the quality level of so called " expertise" " savyness" " cunning" " tricky" and general " thievery " or gaming the system is quite low. Im not nieve to say it doesnt happen. But from a local with boots on the ground and seeing things first hand......happens alot less than people think.

Final thought. Its an Interweb world. Will always be faster than voice communication.

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I guess I just need to brush up on my words per minute and do it all online (But, there isn't enough sunscreen for me to do it from Saudi Arabia). hahah

Reactions: Slugz

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I'm a nerd so you'd think I'd value some of the resources like buying tags online, but to be honest I feel like they disadvantage a lot of folks the way they're implemented. Two years ago their Web site was almost totally unusable for two hours the morning leftover tags went on sale, and although it's gotten better it's not exactly "fixed." And 11am MT is such an odd time. Lots of folks can't take that time off work and may not be near a computer then.

I agree this is the way it should go (online). Not at all saying otherwise. Just generally feel like it could be done better. Some days it feels like the process of getting a tag is harder than the hunt itself.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I see where they need to open it up to retailers for those who are not "internet savvy"

I have a friend who does all the applications for his father in law. If you handed his father in law a computer he would have no idea on how to turn it on, much less handing him a smart phone.

The big problem is that you are not going to make everyone happy no matter how you do the leftover tags. I have always said that if you want a tag put in for the hunt, you have ample choices on the application. If you are sitting around waiting for leftovers then you are already too late.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Like Utah, all of the good tags get drawn out in the first draw period.

Its not the leftovers that most truly want, its the re-issued tags that makes people really lick their chops...

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
mail is so slow here lately.

Kinda surprised states still mail these out etc...?

I do prefer to read a magazine vs online screen, but I really don't use those mailings for much.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
More states are going to a downloadable one for the most part, but they usually have a paper copy that you can pick up at retailers.

When you are in the field a paper copy is so much handier than one that is stored on a computer or a plone

Reactions: HuskyMusky