colorado unit 76 info needed

jonnyelk

Mar 26, 2015
Hello all,
Drew a 76 muzzle loader tag this year. will be on foot, has anyone hunted this area and have some info??

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Jonny,

I think you may get more feedback if you head over to the new members section and give an introduction. There are a lot of great people on here willing to contribute for those that show an interest in staying here and giving back. Many people just log on to ask about an area and then we never hear from them again. I don't have any personal experience in your area but I know many on here do. Should be worth your time to stick around.

dkw1959

Jan 22, 2012
Hunted the area 2 1/2 years ago archery. Started out driving into the Wheeler Geological area in the northeastern part of the unit and camping. Found the elk about 3 miles west of where we were so we left and went to Creede and stayed in town. Drove up Bachelor Road about 3 miles to Willow Creek, parked, and followed the creek in about 2 miles. Heard elk bugling every day. We went Sept. 18-25. I think a week earlier would have been better as the big bulls were herded up already. Three of us still arrowed 2 6x6's. If you have any other questions let me know.

JPSeveland

Jun 8, 2014
Cheyenne Wyoming
This is a great tag with some awsome bulls there probably one of the better tags in the state in my opinion. Like Hilltop said give a little and you will get a little on this sight and its nice to know a little about who we are talking to i know 76 a little mainly on the north end of the unit if you hunt hard hunt high there is no reason at all you shouldnt be able to see 100 elk a day here and shoot a dandy bull good luck on your hunt

jonnyelk

Mar 26, 2015
Thanks for the input.
I live in Durango, about 2hrs away from 76. very familiar with a lot of the area. I am trying to get a little more info on people that have hunted it and where most hunters will be. scouted last weekend, west pole creek, deep creek, quartzite creek. saw around 500 head. only 2 bulls that would go over 300". all elk are at 12 to 13k feet. I am heading back next week to check out more drainages. tough country to hunt-- not sure if I will actually be hunting or mt climbing (love it). still trying to get on the new member site
thanks for the imput

JPSeveland

Jun 8, 2014
Cheyenne Wyoming
Either tag would be a great tag to have but 1st rifle in the high country can be ruff but thats would be a great time to pattern a giant bull. Like jonnyelk said all the elk he saw was 12-13,000 feet they stay there tell the snow pushes them down and thats were i would hunt.

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
I spent a good bit of time in the northern part of this unit many moons ago when I had a sheep tag there. There were lots of elk at and above timberline when I was summer scouting there but when I started hunting in September the elk had all moved down into the timber.

jonnyelk

Mar 26, 2015
Hey cotim,
76 offers a early 1rst rifle. I think it takes like 12 to 15 res points. That would be the hunt to do. Only 25 tags
are you concidering that hunt?