Colorado Monsoons

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Writing from VA beach family-reunion summer vacation; quite a change from Iowa! 🏖

Glad to hear you guys are getting some rain; hopefully the tanks and reservoirs get some benefits. Been a little dry in my part of Iowa, but the ground was showing decent moisture a few inches down, when I tilled up my winter squash patch las week. If we a get storm front or two this week back home, my garden will be happier. lol

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It was this time a year ago that they started up. I was in Utah and left my sisters home at 4am to get through Glenwood Canyon before the storms hit.

Last night we had one large flash of lightning and then it rained for about 15 minutes. Anything is better than nothing.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I hope they continue in the mountains and spread east into Texas soon. 2011 was a terrible drought for us. This year so far, we've had more than twice as many 100 degree+ days and even less rain than we had at this point in 2011. It's bad.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Its been really dry of late here in central Illinois. Matter of fact the farmers have been combining wheat for at least 2 weeks. When I grew up on the farm we always planned to harvest around the 4th of July. Seems like the harvest gets earlier and earlier. Most guys around here will follow up the wheat with soybeans and we will need some good rains to get that going.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Was nice this am, then it started to cloud up (typical monsoon weather). By 1:00 thunder & lightning like crazy....then the rain came. Got over an inch in an hour. I can imagine what was going on in the Mtns near me.

Reactions: buckbull

Sotxks

Jan 22, 2018
South Texas
Headed up your way again this year, looking to be second season. Looks like yall had a decent June, rain wise. How has it been since? Cortez area up to Disappointment getting the same?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
We got some good rain for any time of the year on Friday/Saturday. We had some fun with it, made chili like it was a fall day and enjoyed some family time.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I havn't been out in a couple of weeks (been recuperating from back surgery), but a neighbor was up around Silverton and the high country here in SW Colorado looks lush & green. Tons of wildflowers and water everywhere. Monsoons started a month early and have not let up. Got some rain here last night. Lots of thunder & lightning almost every night. Should be a great year for antler growth.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
We're hunting a ranch west of Trinidad next month. It's green and all the tanks are brimming full right now. I sure wish the rain would spread south and east. We've had over 70 days of 100 degree temps and less rain that we had in the historic drought of 2011 this year. Getting bad.