Colorado Forage Report 22

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I made the annual fishing trip to NW Colorado and things were the greenest I've seen in somewhere between 7 to 10 years based upon my notes.

Woodland Park to Wilkerson Pass- This is the first year in 5 that I've had to cut my grass. Normally its cut 3 times a summer. This year it needs it every 10 days as its growing a foot in length during that time period.

Hartsell Flats to Hoosier Pass- Wow. I've never seen Hartsell Flats with a green shade or tint to it. The antelope are doing well. Fat fat fat with fawns all over. Well over 10 years since I've seen that.

Hoosier Pass to Frisco- This area normally has been pretty green the past 5 years and it looked the same this year.

Frisco to Wolcott/Eagle - Another area that in my opinion was above the last 10 year average for forage production. What caught my eye was the median height of weeds and grass, edge of the road and secondary roads. All well over 2 ft in many places. All small creeks were running high and clear.

Eagle/Dotsero/Burns - That area is always dryer than most parts of the state. It looked normal.

SW Flat Tops- Big deer, thick velvet, horn growth and elk herds with a little over 50% calve to cow ratio was the soup de jour. The best I've seen it in 10 years. At this rate I may have to actually take rain gear to camp this year.

Summary- Break out the wood stoves and chainsaws as it looks like we may have zero fire restrictions this September. The animals and mountains looked good for that route I traveled with some definitely at a 10 year high for rain in my opinion.

Last edited: