Colorado DOW Phone Town Hall

MuleyHunter

Mar 23, 2011
Fruita, Colorado
The meeting tonight for anyone to go here in Grand Junction is at the County building 200 Spruce St from 6-8 p.m. Anyone the can make should.... I talked to the biologist in my unit today and he suggested everybody that can show up should show up.

I also talked to him about the amount of lions killed in my entire unit(6) here on the west slope and he told me they are having trouble raising numbers because they are being sued. This stuff is absolutely insane...… :mad:

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
The meeting tonight for anyone to go here in Grand Junction is at the County building 200 Spruce St from 6-8 p.m. Anyone the can make should.... I talked to the biologist in my unit today and he suggested everybody that can show up should show up.

I also talked to him about the amount of lions killed in my entire unit(6) here on the west slope and he told me they are having trouble raising numbers because they are being sued. This stuff is absolutely insane...… :mad:

I was there, and I've been to numerous of these meetings over the years. I don't have answers to the issues we're all concerned about, but I would strongly recommend that anybody that wants to gripe about the way CPW handles hunting/season issues should make a real effort to get to one of these meetings and see what these guys (and gals) go up against when they try to institute any kinds of changes. There's always somebody squawking about getting burned. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to do their job.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The only thing that I think that they need to do is to get the ML deer and elk season out of the archery season.

I also asked a officer one day that checked me who they thought had a bigger chance of getting shot during that dual season. The archery hunter that was out there decked out in full camo or the ML hunter with the orange vest and hat. He just shrugged his shoulders at that one. Granted a person with a firearm shouldn't be shooting at anything that isn't what he should be shooting at but there is always that question. But then there is also that September rifle bear hunt going on at the same time as archery and muzzle loader.

Sometimes you just cant win and there is only so much time to get all these hunts in. It will be interesting to see if they come up with something new.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The only thing that I think that they need to do is to get the ML deer and elk season out of the archery season.

I also asked a officer one day that checked me who they thought had a bigger chance of getting shot during that dual season. The archery hunter that was out there decked out in full camo or the ML hunter with the orange vest and hat. He just shrugged his shoulders at that one. Granted a person with a firearm shouldn't be shooting at anything that isn't what he should be shooting at but there is always that question. But then there is also that September rifle bear hunt going on at the same time as archery and muzzle loader.

Sometimes you just cant win and there is only so much time to get all these hunts in. It will be interesting to see if they come up with something new.
I agree 100%...I couldn't have said it better!

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
Separating ML and archery hunting was brought up at the GJ meeting and it seemed like the idea was pretty well supported by everyone there. There was talk of shutting down archery season when ML comes in and then opening it back up when ML closes; also I interpreted the conversation that there might be support for making the split archery season 2 different tags. But then it gets back to early season archery hunters thinking they're getting screwed out of hunting later in the season, and vice versa for later season hunters.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
The deer archery hunters would like to maybe give up that week of ML season and get a week in exchange, earlier in the season, so they can hunt the muleys in the high country in velvet. The elk archers would give up the same week in exchange of a one week later season, to me a better elk rut week. If this is done you will have the high country buck hunters, in some units, still with a rifle. You will also have the early elk hunters, in some units, with a rifle. I think they could go to split seasons and make some of their tags go into the draw. I have never seen the sense in archers not having to wear orange, like everyone else, when there is a conflicting rifle season. They say that animals don't see color so .......

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I actually think the grouping of primative weapons ( archery/ muzzle loader open sight) can be left together. For the GMUS I hunt I have no issues nor do I have any pressure issues from hunters. I hope they don't change a thing for elk. I like the 30 day archery tag.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
And there lies the problem. Some areas handle the dual seasons quite well while others do not.

I can understand where some like it the way that it is now. You can have a group of hunters that are archery and muzzle loader hunting at the same time and it makes for some great times.

As I said before there is no easy answer and you are going to make hunters mad no matter what you decide upon