Colorado DOW Phone Town Hall

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Colorado Parks and Wildlife is going to have a phone in town hall tonight 1/28 for residents to listen and comment on the upcoming season structures.

The town hall for residents is 1/28 TODAY and the one for non residents is set up for 2/4. So if you are interested join one or both of them.

There is also a link to a online survey that you can take concerning mostly about the season structure in this link. It also has the phone number and time of the town hall.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/colorado-parks-and-wildlife-to-host-telephone-town-halls-to-gather-input-for-next-big-game-season-structure/

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
So far by listening to the town hall most want to eliminate the NR hunter and push all the hunting seasons into November and December or I should say season..........one long season except for archery elk, they want to hunt the rut but none of the folks that are asking the questions have any idea of what or just when the rut occurs.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
So far by listening to the town hall most want to eliminate the NR hunter and push all the hunting seasons into November and December or I should say season..........one long season except for archery elk, they want to hunt the rut but none of the folks that are asking the questions have any idea of what or just when the rut occurs.
Totally different landscape & species, but here in Iowa we have an early muzzy season for deer that is limited to residents only and limited to only 7,000 tags, 1st come, 1st serve. I share that because maybe something special like that just for residents in CO might alleviate some of the non-res angst? Idk-just a passing thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I listened to the whole discussion. I think most of the answers have been rehearsed by the CPW. What I get is that bow hunters want more, more of everything, longer season, no pressure from early rifle or muzzleloaders, they want to hunt the rut, and would like the bear seasons extended so the can hunt with a rifle after they have hunted with their bow. I went to the CPW Colorado bowhunters assoc. discussion a few weeks ago and some of the same things were suggested.
Now what I do like, and i have heard this twice now, is that CPW would like to extend the moose season so one hunter can hunt with a bow, muzzleloader and rifle for about 6 weeks to fill their tag. I'm pretty sure I would be happy with a 9 day muzzle tag, if i could just draw the damn thing, but I have no problem with that change.

MuleyHunter

Mar 23, 2011
Fruita, Colorado
It was definitely interesting..... but if they push back archery season and move my 1st rifle season elk back a week I will be very upset. [emoji2959]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I left a comment at the end as far as archery and muzzle loader seasons were concerned.

I suggested to open archery 1 week earlier then shut it down for the ML and then reopen it after the ML season for what it was worth.

The big problem is that you can only cram so many seasons into a couple of months and everyone wants to hunt the best times.

MuleyHunter

Mar 23, 2011
Fruita, Colorado
The crazy part about it all is that 80 percent of the time the main part of the rut is during the week of muzzy season and the last week is usually dead silent. At least in the unit I hunt here in Colorado.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Hunters associate the rut with the elk bugling. They need to come up to my neck of the woods, you never do hear very many bugles at anytime of the elk seasons. The elk learned that if they make noise they get shot at. About the only bugles you will hear are other elk hunters.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The last two posts pretty much sum up what I have seen the last two times I hunted Colorado for elk.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I can tell you that last year, where I was, there was absolutely no rut during the muzzleload season. If you remember the hot week, mid 90's on the front range, I was in a t shirt above timberline glassing for elk. I think that the rut usually kicks off towards the tail end of the muzzy season and the last week of archery is where I usually see the elk rut kick in. There is usually a second smaller rut a few weeks later to hit the remaining cows and that happens during the first rifle. This is all+/- depending on weather and area.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I wasn’t able to listen to it. Was there any discussion about OTC muzzleloader tags? CSMLA has been actively pursuing this but I don’t think it’s ever gonna happen.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There was no talk about ML except a couple mentioned it as far as it being in the archery hunt time frame.

A lot of questions were asked along with statements about wanting to move seasons later in the year. One person wanted the pronghorn hunt in the colder weather months instead of when it is. There was really not much discussion on what the addenda was about, the season structure for the next 5 years.

Some wanted to eliminate the NR on some hunts or have resident hunts only. (Fat chance)

I'm not sure what the CP&W came away with as far as season structure but at least they gave the public some time for input.

D

Disabled Combat Vet

Not to be negative, but will Dow take the " Surveys " and " Comments " serious and actually into consideration ?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'll answer that!

As soon as someone provides them with an alternative plan that makes them more money.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You can only fill out the survey and cross your fingers.

At least they are putting it out there for you do do instead of just making a decision on their own.