colorado deer hunt 2018 unit help[

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
Hello guys, I,m new on here and don,t have anything to bring to the table ,sorry , I,m going to send a picture or two after iI learn how.Being 71 is still know excuse, but I feel I,m as dumb as a box of rocks.I know you all love these new guys asking this.so here it is,,Two older guys be 71 and me 72 from Wi with 20 non res. points want to go hunting M deer. Been looking at unit 2 /10 /201. Just got On X and spoke with BLM and Game managers and just get more ? Units only have 15 or so deer tags sold so don,t expect a lot of people get to hunt there.Forgot to say Rifle hunt Open to 2nd or 3rd season. Just asking idea of what you think our best unit and what season. Not asking for GPS cord, 1300 mile trip each way so when would be best scuoting weeks? For any input would be great. Thank,s again John

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Welcome aboard. Those units are right up your alley for ease of hunting, and the overall experience with low tag numbers makes it one of the best hunts in the West. Deer are there, if you spend enough time ahead and scout throughout the hunt you will be successful. I would go with a 3rd season tag, deer will be moving more throughout the day

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Anytime during the summer for scouting, as the first and foremost deal is to get a lay of the land you want to hunt. I'd bring your camping gear and get on it! Don't forget a fishing rod.

dirtytough

Feb 15, 2012
Washington
Ok I took a quick look at the odds from last year.
3rd season. Unit 2, 1 non res tag and it took 23 points to draw. Unit 201, 2 non res tags and it took 22 points to draw. Unit 10, 2 tags and it took 20 points to draw.

2nd season. Unit 2, 2 non res tags and only 67% of the guys with 19 points drew. Unit 201, 3 non res tags and 40% of the guys with 18 points drew. Unit 10, 6 non res tags and 20% of the people with 15 points drew.

So looking at last years odds the only hunts you would be guaranteed to draw are unit 10 second season and unit 201 second.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I'd highly recommend that you look for the very best 4th season tag you can draw with your points. Third season tags in quality units can be good, but you have the points for some very high quality 4th season tags. I would never ever ever burn 20 points on a second season.

If I drew the 4th season, I would just arrive early and scout during third season. You will be hunting deer often on their winter range and showing up weeks or months early isn't going to help much other than to get the lay of the land. I haven't checked it out in a while but CDOW used to have some mapping on there website that showed the the winter range.

If you look up the draw stats of 4th season tags, the resident and nonresident demand is going to really tell you the areas to be looking more closely at.

From what I have been told, the NW corner can be fun as far as the lack of hunters, but in general most guys I talk to think the trophy quality for deer is not worth the points it takes.

Last edited:

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
Dirtytough, Thanks for looking up points needed , We did again and hoped maybe 2nd season cause last year we lost by one? We,ll have to rethink again as if we don,t draw we won,t get anything but 2nd choice 0 point area. If Co changes point system next year ,could be sad for us and lots of other guys. Thanks again for taking time in this for a stranger John

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
If I had 20 points, I’d be looking hard at a 3rd or 4th season tag when the bucks come out of their hidey holes to start looking for the ladies. Going into a unit you don’t know, with 2 high point tags to fill in 5 days(4th season), might put a little stress on you guys. A 3rd season hunt would give you 9 days to get it done. Just something to think about.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I'm not sure from reading your post if you each have 20 pts. If that's the case, you do have to be very careful about applying for a "group hunt" in a low tag area. In CO, if the numbers of your group will exceed the number of the available tags, then the draw will move on without you. For instance, one of the areas you had expressed interest in only had 2 available NR tags, and if a single NR tag was drawn first, then your group was drawn 2nd, then you will miss out. An option for you could be each to apply on your own, then if one or both draw it's "game on", and you could have the chance to come back again with some knowledge of the area. Don't count yourself out of the game yet just because you are old farts like me and a lot of others on the forum. Good luck.

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
Ricmic Thanks, That happened last year. 3 NR tags first group same points 2 people drew left 1 tag left it went to a single person. That is the LUCK OF THE DRAW. I really have 23 NR points for deer and 21 foe elk , but partner only has 20.I was going to post picture of point papers if needed. Person would have to be a big jerk to make things up, but I guess there are a few.Woun,t thiink they would be on a hunting fourm. Your point are well taken Thank,s again John

dirtytough

Feb 15, 2012
Washington
I would apply solo for the best tag you guys can draw 4th season. If only one person draws great then you will be able to get to hunt it again next year. 23 points is a ton to use on a second season hunt.

Come out 4-5 days early for the hunt to scout and acclimate then give it 100% for 5 days. Its tough to hunt hard for a week plus.

You are in the running for a unit 44 4th season tag with 23 points. It would be crazy to use 23 points on a 2nd season hunt when you can draw one of the most coveted mule deer tags in the west.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I would apply solo for the best tag you guys can draw 4th season. If only one person draws great then you will be able to get to hunt it again next year. 23 points is a ton to use on a second season hunt.

Come out 4-5 days early for the hunt to scout and acclimate then give it 100% for 5 days. Its tough to hunt hard for a week plus.

You are in the running for a unit 44 4th season tag with 23 points. It would be crazy to use 23 points on a 2nd season hunt when you can draw one of the most coveted mule deer tags in the west.
What he said!

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO

Solid advice.

dirtytough

Feb 15, 2012
Washington
Unit 22 4th. 4 non res tags last year. One guy with 20 points didn't draw and there were 3 guys with 19 points that also applied. So if everything stays the same then you should have a 60% chance of drawing.

Unit 66 4th. If everything stays the same you have a 40% chance to draw.

Unit 67 4th. 100% if nobody jumps in with 20 or more points.

Unit 63 4th. 100% if nobody jumps in with 20 or more points.

Here are a few of the 4th season tags that you have a chance to draw that are toward the top of the points list. I'm sure any one of these hunts would be a quality hunt. 63 has the most private. Which means its easier for bucks to grow big. And during 4th season you have a good chance they will move off of private to chase does.

If you are dead set on hunting the best unit you can this year, 67 4th or 63 4th would be pretty good choices.

Good luck