Colorado 44 2nd season

fuzzyvelvet

Oct 17, 2016
Any pointers on places to start looking? I just picked up the tag on the reissued list. I understand snow will be a huge plus. What if there isn't? Where would you start? What would your strategy be? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I don't know much about the area, but with the elk hunters I'd hit the lower edges to see if they get pushed down a little. Definitely go farther than what you think the next guy is going. Good luck!

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I don't know if 44 is the same way... But in 43 (and many other zones) there are both "migratory" and "resident" elk herds. The migratory herds you have to catch heading from high to low ground with timing based on the weather. The resident herds make regular rotations from ranch land up into dark timber and back down, across 2-3 day periods. Elk can deal with a LOT more snow than deer. As long as you can walk through it, they can to - and will, to escape hunter pressure. (Even private ranches have pressure.) A good bet is always to find timber pockets, draws, and gullies with cover, and "work them."

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Not knowing the area can be real tough.

A lot of big bucks hang out on the Hermits south of Eagle, but it is all oaks and is one mean mother.

Other than that find the meanest and nastiest canyon that you can think of and head into it

Reactions: taskswap

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
So how did it go??

I was over there in 44 yesterday pre storm scouting for my fathers 44-4th buck tag and imagine some things will change w this snow.

Starting to look like a good year to have a 3rd tag.

fuzzyvelvet

Oct 17, 2016
I did kill a decent buck but he was broken so didn't score well. We had a little snow so it did help for spotting the bucks.

Reactions: bigmoose

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Still snowing here in Eagle County and they are predicting another 3" in the valley, the mountains are getting hammered. It is suppose to stop Wednesday and get real cold in the minus temperatures and then warm up Thursday through the weekend.

It is going to be a very interesting 3rd season

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Super nice buck.
We didn't do well at all this year. Saw nothing but small bucks down lower where we usually hunt. Would've rather been out this next week but didn't draw .
High chance I'll draw 444 in the 4th season next year if the trend continues.