College Visit

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I did a college visit with my daughter yesterday.

Our tour guide introduced herself "My name is XXXXX. I go by the pronouns she and her".

At that point, I knew I was in trouble.

We were standing outside in the quad area of the school and a wasp was bothering my daughter and I. Growing up on a dairy farm I've been stung probably close to 100 times by the damn things. Anytime we went to hook up machinery, work in the barns, climb the silo, etc I would also get stung. I hate wasps and nothing gives me more pleasure than to extract a little revenge when the opportunity presents itself.

So I swatted the wasp with my hat.

Next thing I know I have a girl with blue hair scream at me "Why did you do that".

I knew I couldn't get through the day without offending someone.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I remember when I started visiting colleges ( it was in 1959). I had football scholarship offers from quite a few schools. Way different back then, Freshman had to play Freshman sports per NCAA rules. I picked my school and signed the paperwork and then had to go thru hell during the fall from the varsity players. We also had to work as part of the scholarship agreement. I weeded flower beds and picked up towels in the locker room after varsity practice.

It was a fun time even with all the BS Freshman had to put up with. Couldn't wait to be a Soph so paybacks could begin!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I remember when I visited Penn State.

I barely graduated high school and then decided a year later that I might go to college.

So when I went to the college a professor sat me down and asked me a bunch of questions and then asked me about my SAT scores.....I looked at him with the most honest and embarrassed face anyone has ever had and said "I think I may have scored a a negative number if that is possible...and I understand if you dont want me in your program...I'm not very good at math, I can hardly spell, and my people skills are lacking... but I am asking you to give me just one chance here...."

He said: "Well, I appreciate your honesty and not everybody is meant to fly to the moon on the space shuttle....so dont be hard on yourself. Consider this your one chance, you give this your best shot, and lets just see what we can do for you here."

That same college professor sent me this message a month ago:

"Hi Gary. I had dinner the other night with another professor. We were talking about the engineering program and in the course of our conversation your name came up. We both agreed that you were a student who overcame large obstacles to complete your degree. I see you are in Georgia. It looks to me that you are doing very well. Very glad to see that. You make Penn State proud! Take care. "

Between the Shriner's and my College Professors, I owe it all to them.

To the OP, I wish your daughter the best of luck in school!! If she has teachers that were even half as good as mine it will be well worth her tuition!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Shriners are a great organization, I know as I have been one for over 30 years! I donate monthly to Shriner's Children's Hospitals who do great work.

I also remember when I started college, the classes I chose were the wrong ones for sure. I struggled my first year just staying eligible. Took me awhile to get everything straightened out, ended up graduating with my BS in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.9 GPA.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I did not graduate with a 3.9 lol But I did graduate.

Whats that saying? D is for degree? ha!

Or in my case C because you had to have a C to advance to the next course...I got a lot of C's...
So we had a 2 hour drive each way to the college. My ex-wife was talking to my daughter that she will really need to buckle down and study in college, you know, actually open a book. To which she replied "Mom, C's get Degrees". I couldn't help but laugh.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
So we had a 2 hour drive each way to the college. My ex-wife was talking to my daughter that she will really need to buckle down and study in college, you know, actually open a book. To which she replied "Mom, C's get Degrees". I couldn't help but laugh.
That's better then my son who always said d's= degrees

Reactions: mallardsx2

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
You know what you call the medical student who finishes last in his class?

Doctor

The sad thing about higher education is they all spew liberal agendas. Most engineering programs are educating our enemies from around the world. If you don't think so just attend a master or doctorate graduation of a school of your choice.

Reactions: kidoggy and D_Dubya

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You know what you call the medical student who finishes last in his class?

Doctor

The sad thing about higher education is they all spew liberal agendas. Most engineering programs are educating our enemies from around the world. If you don't think so just attend a master or doctorate graduation of a school of your choice.
I went to school so long ago that there were very few foreign students there. I did my Masters in the 80's and yes there was a ton of them then.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
That quote is why I made my kids pay for their own school, they could party on their own dime. But both my kids graduated with less then 15 grand in loans. Son has 2 BS degrees and Daughter is finishing her Dr. But still has less then 30 grand in loans.
My daughter was only joking trying to get a "rise" out my Ex which is very easy to do. Heck, I don't even try and she blows up at me :)

Seriously though, college is way too damn expensive now just to go party. I've been able to save for both kids in 529 plans but didn't save enough. Can't keep up with the 10-20% annual tuition increases. My son is studying to be a chemical engineer and daughter wants to be a forensic scientist. Assuming they graduate with those degrees they should be able to pay their student loans in a reasonable amount of time. Fingers crossed.

I work with several guys in the forties still paying on student loans. That's hard to imagine. And the guys are all software developers and architects making more than the average college graduate. I don't see how someone with a non technical degree would be able to ever pay back the loans.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
That quote is why I made my kids pay for their own school, they could party on their own dime. But both my kids graduated with less then 15 grand in loans. Son has 2 BS degrees and Daughter is finishing her Dr. But still has less then 30 grand in loans.
I created a formula for my kids, I will pay 100% of tuition for a 4.0 and 50% for a 2.0. Anything less than 2.0 I pay 0%. Little jerks have been getting pretty good grades so I think they get the picture LOL. It’s been a little frustrating sending all that money to the University so that they can tell my kids how privileged and racist they are, but they are both doing well so hopefully it’ll all work out for them.

Johnbud

Jan 6, 2018
Wisconsin
I did a college visit with my daughter yesterday.

Our tour guide introduced herself "My name is XXXXX. I go by the pronouns she and her".

At that point, I knew I was in trouble.

We were standing outside in the quad area of the school and a wasp was bothering my daughter and I. Growing up on a dairy farm I've been stung probably close to 100 times by the damn things. Anytime we went to hook up machinery, work in the barns, climb the silo, etc I would also get stung. I hate wasps and nothing gives me more pleasure than to extract a little revenge when the opportunity presents itself.

So I swatted the wasp with my hat.

Next thing I know I have a girl with blue hair scream at me "Why did you do that".

I knew I couldn't get through the day without offending someone.
Hope that you shared your pronouns as well. I'll award bonus points for creativity when you do so. Keep that poker face no matter what!

Reactions: buckbull

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I created a formula for my kids, I will pay 100% of tuition for a 4.0 and 50% for a 2.0. Anything less than 2.0 I pay 0%. Little jerks have been getting pretty good grades so I think they get the picture LOL. It’s been a little frustrating sending all that money to the University so that they can tell my kids how privileged and racist they are, but they are both doing well so hopefully it’ll all work out for them.
You need to also tell the that they need a degree in something that they can earn a living off of.

I have a number of friends who are over educated in the field that they want but can't find jobs in them. So they resorted to get a teaching certificate and are teaching school. One of my nephews has 3 master degrees and he teaches 5th grade.

Reactions: buckbull
Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Shriners are a great organization, I know as I have been one for over 30 years! I donate monthly to Shriner's Children's Hospitals who do great work.

I also remember when I started college, the classes I chose were the wrong ones for sure. I struggled my first year just staying eligible. Took me awhile to get everything straightened out, ended up graduating with my BS in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.9 GPA.
My sister is a nurse and worked at a Shriners hospitial after she finished schooling. She loved working there and said it was nice to see the best in people. Nothing but respect here for the wonderful work they do.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
You need to also tell the that they need a degree in something that they can earn a living off of.

I have a number of friends who are over educated in the field that they want but can't find jobs in them. So they resorted to get a teaching certificate and are teaching school. One of my nephews has 3 master degrees and he teaches 5th grade.
We have had that discussion and I think they made pretty good choices but I always tell them that the degree only gets you in door, they have to work their butts off and separate themselves from the pack.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
One of the best things I learned from college, wasn’t just partying😁, was getting to know people from other parts of the state/country. Those connections are always good to have.