CO Leftover List

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Once again I see that some hunters are screwed over by the CP&W tag drawing system.

Just as a example, I put in for unit 44 deer muzzle loader. 2 applicants didn't pay for their tags so there were 2 tags that went to the secondary draw. I put in for that tag during the secondary draw and didn't draw. Now I see that there is 1 tag in the leftover OTC list so one of those two who drew in the secondary draw didn't pay for their tag.

They need to start going down the list of applicants instead of just bumping these tags to the next draw or until they hit the leftover list. The system that the have now is failing the hunters who want to hunt the units and pay the application fee's. I'm sure that this isn't the only example but it is one that I am involved with.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
^^^ AND take the peoples points who turned the tag back in. That would cut down on a lot of this crap. You either want to hunt, or you don't. Its that simple. If they turn their tag back in they can be refunded but they loose their points....NOT the other way around....Everyone has equal skin in the game with this method....

AND go back to the old system and make people pay for the tag up front when they apply.

Lots of people are talking about the same issue you are talking about. All across the internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonecollector

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
Once again I see that some hunters are screwed over by the CP&W tag drawing system.

Just as a example, I put in for unit 44 deer muzzle loader. 2 applicants didn't pay for their tags so there were 2 tags that went to the secondary draw. I put in for that tag during the secondary draw and didn't draw. Now I see that there is 1 tag in the leftover OTC list so one of those two who drew in the secondary draw didn't pay for their tag.

They need to start going down the list of applicants instead of just bumping these tags to the next draw or until they hit the leftover list. The system that the have now is failing the hunters who want to hunt the units and pay the application fee's. I'm sure that this isn't the only example but it is one that I am involved with.
This has happened to me three years in a row

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Paying upfront may slow the issue but it will not resolve it entirely. Just a small effect but it’s something.
if you turn the tag in from the original draw perhaps you should not be eligible to reapply in the secondary draw

Reactions: mallardsx2

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
They'll never go back to pre paying for tags.

With post pay they have more applicants than ever with each one paying a non refundable application fee. With pre pay they have to refund to the applicant the money for the tag which cost CP&W money.

Let's see what one they prefer????

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
They'll never go back to pre paying for tags.

With post pay they have more applicants than ever with each one paying a non refundable application fee. With pre pay they have to refund to the applicant the money for the tag which cost CP&W money.

Let's see what one they prefer????
They could do like WY and charge the CC processing fee. You are probably right though, all that app money they would give up by going back to upfront fees will keep it like it is currently.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Nope

According to the CO Big Game Brochure:
"A current-year qualifying license is required in order to apply for the big-game draw(s).
Hunters who wish to purchase a leftover limited or over-the-counter license do not need to have a qualifying license."

• Wow
Reactions: mallardsx2