CO- Give back your tag?

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
Does Colorado give you the option to give back your tag and still keep your points? If so, do they keep any of your money?

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
You can get a refund or your points back... not both. If you want to keep your pre draw points then you have to forfeit any refund.
That's correct for 1st choice tags only. If you turn in a tag drawn as 2nd or 3rd choice then you can get a refund and keep your points. Minus the $15 fee of course.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
That's correct for 1st choice tags only. If you turn in a tag drawn as 2nd or 3rd choice then you can get a refund and keep your points. Minus the $15 fee of course.
2nd or 3rd choice don't take any points, only 1st choice. If you don't draw your 1st choice and do draw the 2nd choice, it does not take any point away from you.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
You didn't lose your points when you drew that 2nd or 3rd choice tag so there's no points to get back...

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Everyone is right $ or points not both and you will not get a point for the year you turned in your tag.

Also the 30 days before season deadline was just put in last year as the CPW thought that too many guys where scouting a unit 3-4 days before a hunt then turning in the tag if they did not find a animal/coditions they were looking for. Also if the weather was like last year guys were turning in tags to wait for better hunting weather.

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
So if I turn back my tag and want to get my money refunded I will lose all of my points? Or I just wont receive a point for that year?

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Well that's a real bummer.
I think the tag return rule is helpful. It's no fun to lose the tag fee, but I am sure they don't want to create a situation where anyone can turn their tag back in on a whim. CPW's operating budget is based on the tags being sold and if they allowed tags to be return for free, there are scenarios where those tags might not be able to be sold again. There are states, like my home state, once you draw, your points are gone. A broken leg, a shoulder injury before a bow hunt, etc. and your tag is worthless.

If you really need to return the tag in Colorado (like I did in 2011 with 20+ points at stake), the rule helps a LOT.

Also, I want to emphasize what others have said, if you return your tag, you don't get a point for the current year. For high demand tags with high point creep, dropping down a point can cost you several extra years of applying.

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
I wish they gave the option like Arizona does, where I think you only pay $5 to have the option to return your tag. I totally agree that there should be a deadline for turning in your tag so people aren't doing it on a whim. In my situation I was planning on burning my CO deer points this year, but my dad decided to switch units for AZ elk and will have a very good chance of drawing (100% last year). Since it is a very high demand tag, I don't want to miss going on that hunt with him. I don't have enough vacation to do both hunts. There's always the chance he doesn't draw though, so if I wait a year for CO and he in unsuccessful in drawing his AZ tag then we miss out on both hunts. Oh well, such is life.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I wish they gave the option like Arizona does, where I think you only pay $5 to have the option to return your tag. I totally agree that there should be a deadline for turning in your tag so people aren't doing it on a whim. In my situation I was planning on burning my CO deer points this year, but my dad decided to switch units for AZ elk and will have a very good chance of drawing (100% last year). Since it is a very high demand tag, I don't want to miss going on that hunt with him. I don't have enough vacation to do both hunts. There's always the chance he doesn't draw though, so if I wait a year for CO and he in unsuccessful in drawing his AZ tag then we miss out on both hunts. Oh well, such is life.
Arizona should hit credit cards in March, the deadline to update credit cards this year is March 16. Beginning the year, Arizona will no longer contact applicants when there credit cards aren't valid, so I would expect that credit cards will be hit very soon after the credit card update deadline

Here is when Arizona has hit cards the past few years.

2013: March 19
2014: March 20
2015: March 20
2016: April 1

Colorado's application deadline will be April 4 (first Tuesday of April).

Apply close to the Colorado deadline and you should know if an AZ tag is coming, assuming your dad applied by credit card.

Last edited:

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Colorado's app deadline is April 4, not February.

Also if you decide to exchange your tag in colorado rules star 30 days I'm advance but if you opt a refund you only pay 50% of the tag cost not to exceed $25. So you will atleast get partial money back but no points

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Also if you decide to exchange your tag in colorado rules star 30 days I'm advance but if you opt a refund you only pay 50% of the tag cost not to exceed $25. So you will atleast get partial money back but no points
I am not seeing where you get 50% of the tag fee back if done before 30 days. I am getting older and miss stuff though :).

Here is the link on a tag return. The rules state "Individuals must still choose between a refund or restoration of preference points; Licensee will not be awarded both."

http://cpw.state.co.us/refunds

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
2nd or 3rd choice don't take any points, only 1st choice. If you don't draw your 1st choice and do draw the 2nd choice, it does not take any point away from you.
I know they don't use points for 2nd or 3rd choice but the way it's written was confusing to me a few years ago when I was in that situation. I thought they would take your points as a deterrent to requesting a refund even if you drew 2nd or 3rd choice. I have to say the CO DOW was very friendly and helpful when I called.