CO elk Preference Point, the "10 year requirement"?

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
CO preference points?My search of this forum for an answer came up empty, but I bet it is here somewhere. The CO wording on preference points includes this statement:

?If you do not apply or hold a license for that species at least once within 10 consecutive years for a bear, elk, deer or pronghorn, your preference points for that species will be lost.? Later in paragraph it repeats "You must apply at least once in a consecutive 10 year period to keep your points"

The question is: Does applying for an elk preference point (with the PP hunt code) satisfy that requirement of "apply for a license", or do you have to actually apply for a certain area/season instead?

Words sometimes do not mean what they seem?.I know in some states that the ?act of buying a preference point? is considering ?applying for the species? to keep points active. Thanks much.

hoshour

Veteran member
I'm no lawyer and legalize doesn't always mean what seems to be plain. Still, I would certainly think so, but why not just apply for an out of reach unit every so often to make sure? If you call the hunt planner number they can probably tell you the answer or ask for the licensing department.

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
Of course you are right...they have the answer, but today my hold times with both of those dept. you suggest were too long for my schedule....I waited too close to the April deadline & they're plenty busy. Thanks.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
Just apply before the deadline. That way you are covered. Then, call the Ft. Collins number and ask your questions for future reference. Best of luck!!

Horniac

Jul 14, 2011
NorCal
CO preference points?My search of this forum for an answer came up empty, but I bet it is here somewhere. The CO wording on preference points includes this statement:

?If you do not apply or hold a license for that species at least once within 10 consecutive years for a bear, elk, deer or pronghorn, your preference points for that species will be lost.? Later in paragraph it repeats "You must apply at least once in a consecutive 10 year period to keep your points"

The question is: Does applying for an elk preference point (with the PP hunt code) satisfy that requirement of "apply for a license", or do you have to actually apply for a certain area/season instead?

Words sometimes do not mean what they seem?.I know in some states that the ?act of buying a preference point? is considering ?applying for the species? to keep points active. Thanks much.

I have obtained 20 elk and deer points by using the preference point code and I am doing the same again this year. I have never applied for a specifc hunt yet. I think you are good!

Horniac

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon

The quote you posted only says you need to "apply" and does not say you need to "apply for a license". The quotes posted say "If you do not apply OR hold a license..." and "You must apply at least once in a consecutive 10 year period to keep your points".

I am 99.999% sure you are fine applying for a point only. Every state I know of has a point in time they can terminate your points if there is no activity. Myself, my wife and my kids have all held piles of points in Colorado and applied for points only for years. My son currently has 15 deer and elk points and I have only put him in for points.

Last edited:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Just checked the 2018 deer and elk regs, here is the current wording (page 18).

"POINTS ACCUMULATE until you draw a first-choice license. If an applicant both fails to apply for a species and has not purchased a license for that same species during any given 10-year period, all accumulated preference points for that species become void."

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
I just checked and did not realize I was quoting a 2015 brochure link. So do you feel the 2018 wording changes anything, or not? I may not be able to follow thread for a few hours...see you folks later

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
The wording is "apply for a species". When you apply for a point for a specie your are applying for that specie. We've been buying points in Colorado for nearly 30 years. Specifically, I've been applying for points for my six kids since 2002 and never applied for a tag for them, only preference point codes.

Last edited:

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
With that issue settled, I thank you all for your help. My next task is to figure out the "age" of some of our points. My son and I have applied sporadically for elk...looking toward a "someday hunt". We did not apply for many years, and we were out of sync with each other also. We now have 4 each. I looked at my point profile online, but it really does not seem to tell me what I need to know on the age of the oldest points....I will probably still have to call CO concerning that. They could be near the 10 years counting backward. At age 70 my time is getting shorter & I sure do not want to lose any. Thanks again.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
It doesn't matter the "age" of your oldest points. If you've applied for a point in the last 10 years you are good and will not lose any of them. What the regulation means is if you don't apply (for a point or tag) or hold a license for 10 consecutive years then you will lose ALL of your points for that species. You are good, just buy points for you and your son this year and you'll have 5 for next year. Or burn em this year and go hunting!

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
With you folks help it encouraged me to do a little more digging on my CO account profile of preference points. Reading it more carefully, and I think this is a recent addition with the new system: It lists my elk points, and then a statement of "last active year". In my case 2015. So following your info, I guess I would need to apply by 2024 or lose them all. I think I better just go hunting before then, for real.

I only hunted CO once, the 2nd elk I ever shot...a 6 pt during early muzzleloader. Hunted private land near Pagosa Springs; when the guide called that guy in and I dropped him at about 70 yds. I still remember the rush. Wanted my son to experience an elk hunt with me someday. We better get at it, from the mountains, not the armchair.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I know I lost all of my preference points when I was in College when they changed it to every 2 years or loose them law. That only lasted for a couple years it I recall and I believe it was meant to thin the herd....it thinned me thats for sure. I lost 3 or 4 points.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Well, I'm glad I read this. I haven't bought PP since 2013, I thought they were gone. I just logged in, on the last day, and bought points!!!
I've got 8 for deer, and 6 for elk. I'm glad I took the time to look.
Thanks to the OP for this thread, I'm back in it for Colorado!!!