CO archery Elk unit 48

Bullcan

Oct 6, 2016
I am thinking of applying for this unit. I have been in Leadville before on a skiing trip, but have never been off the main roads. I know this area has to be rugged. My biggest question is how is the vehicle access off the main roads ? Wondering how the road conditions are in Sept and how steep I can expect them to be. Thx

Bullcan

Oct 6, 2016
Let me ask a more general question. I see the archery season is Sept 2-30 and muzzloader is Sept 12-20. I initially thought that the time frame of Sept 11-21 is when I wanted to go in order to avoid Labor day, but that is muzzloader season. My question is would it be better to hunt Sept 4-12 during labor day weekend and deal with the potential large tourist type crowds, or Sept 11-21 during muzzloader and deal with increased hunters. Later in the month is not an option due to work schedules.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd go during the ML hunt.

The mountains are a zoo during and right after Labor Day. If you look at it Labor Day is a 3 day weekend and hunters only have to take 4 other days off and they can have a 9 day hunt.

Reactions: Bonecollector

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
I am thinking of applying for this unit. I have been in Leadville before on a skiing trip, but have never been off the main roads. I know this area has to be rugged. My biggest question is how is the vehicle access off the main roads ? Wondering how the road conditions are in Sept and how steep I can expect them to be. Thx
hunted 1st rifle 4 years ago applied again this year. roads were fine but we had no moisture. not that steep they were all side hilling it. get in shape!!!!!!!!!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I had my last week of Sept free up, so will be going then ( after the ML season )
I think I would rather be there during the dark moon, even though muzzleloader is open for some of it. Wait until the end of the month and you will be dealing with a bright moon, and an elk herd that has been pressured for the past 4 weeks. My guess is you will see very little day time movement. In you shoes, I would hunt the 7th-14th. Labor day crowd will all be leaving and you will get several days of dark moon hunting before muzzleloader starts. Good luck

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
I think I would rather be there during the dark moon, even though muzzleloader is open for some of it. Wait until the end of the month and you will be dealing with a bright moon, and an elk herd that has been pressured for the past 4 weeks. My guess is you will see very little day time movement. In you shoes, I would hunt the 7th-14th. Labor day crowd will all be leaving and you will get several days of dark moon hunting before muzzleloader starts. Good luck
Agreed