CO 2nd season success

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
Had a great time hunting Colorado this year with my wife. This was her first time coming along on a deer hunt and I think she is ready to start building points for her first tag. She was a trooper, waking up early each morning, hunting with me all day, and coming in late to camp each evening. She was able to see a lot of wildlife and truly understand why I get so excited about going out of state on deer hunts.

Here are some of the bucks we saw during the hunt.

This buck was running with 4 other bucks Friday morning including a big 3x4. Never saw the big one during season, but saw this 4x4 a few times

Saw this buck late Saturday morning as we were heading down the hill to another area. He was 30 yards, uphill from the truck.

Had this one at 15 yards without a care in the world

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
Watched these two bucks on a hill for a little while, waiting for the snow to let up on Monday

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
On Wednesday around 12:30 I found my buck bedded is some aspens about 400 yards, downhill in a steep canyon. I took a picture through the spotting scope and showed the wife. I told her I was going to make a stalk to get a closer look and see if I was ready to fill my tag. After a 300 yard stalk to a rock that was the size of a pickup, I was finally in position to look the buck over. After a couple minutes of watching him, I decided I would be very happy to end the hunt with this buck. One shot to the neck as he was bedded, and the hunt was over.

This is how I found him in his bed

After the shot

The pack out

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
Thank you everyone! We had a great time and wish we were still up there! Now it's time to try and put a big whitetail on the ground here in Oklahoma.

Great pics and deer! How did you get those first sets of pics, with a simple cell phone or camera?
Most of the photos were taken with a Canon T3i camera and Canon 70-200mm lens. The wider buck on top of the ridge was taken with a cell phone. He was 15 yards from us.