Checking wind conditions before range session

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I use Windy.com

It's a great reference especially if you are going to sight in your rifles. You can click the exact spot on the map where you are going to shoot. In the tool bar, you can drag the day/time and hour, and check the wind conditions during the timeframe you want to shoot. I use this before going to the range. If it's too windy I stay home. Using this site has saved me a trip or two not to mention gas money.

I found about this site when I went to HI. It's the same platform the boat captains use for their water excursions. If it's too windy they cancel their events for the day (whale watching, shark cage etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: Winchester

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Warning: Never go to windy.com without a lot of time on your hands. I could sit there and watch it for hours. :D

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I wouldn't do me any good since the area that I go to shoot totally contradicts what is usually going on with the winds in my valley

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem with where I shoot is that the main valley runs north and south but the side canyon runs east and west.

Even when the winds are blowing from the north or south in the main valley the winds are just swirling in the side canyon. I usually don't much attention to them unless I plan on shooting 600 yards or so. This is also why when I go shooting I do it early in the morning when most things are nice and calm. If I wait until afternoon all bets are off.

Reactions: Mule3006Elk