Chainsaw Sharpener

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Had a buddy show me a video of one of these and have been confused ever since on how they work. I don’t think they would work on a normal chain because I don’t see how they could. Interesting scam possibly?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Seems that in the pic the chain is on back wards. Cutters are facing aft. :)

So it would seem to get this thing to sharpen anything it would only sharpen the tooth, top flat portion only ? And do you need to take the chain off and run it backwards to sharpen :)

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I don't have no link just the big A

I purchased one from Northern Tools once that didn't come with any instructions. All I got was what the reviews said and a few suggestions.

I took it along with a chain saw chain and played around with it. It didn't take too long before I saw how it worked and what I needed to do. It works great. But my problem now is that I have several chains all sharpened and ready to go and I don't use my chainsaw that much anymore

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I don't see how it works correctly at all. Fundamentally major issues.

1) Only sharpens the top of the tooth ? So that's not even the spot that needs sharpening.
2) It grinds your raker and tooth to the same level ? Not even close to being correct.

Get a good file (round to match the chain size)
Get a depth gauge and a flat file to set your raker height correctly.
Lastly get a stump vise to hold the bar.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
After further review. This is a knock off of the Oregon Power Sharp System. Couple key points.

Oregon Power Sharp System is sold with the sharpener and a special chain that goes with it.

The link above you posted is just as you said a scam. Chinese company made one that kinda looks like it. Same color yellow and started to market it over social media. Read the 33 % one star reviews and they summarize what I found researching the internet. Hope that helps.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Dont buy that....EVER

Buy this:

Or if you are lazy like me you'll appreciate having one of these.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I still sharpen old school but have used the stihl 2 in one file and it does the job. getting a good stump vise is excellent advice. I try to do all my sharpening in the workshop with the bench vise but seems like I always need to file in the field.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I got bit by the MS updates and it reset all my settings on my laptop, I can now see it.

I looked around a little and found that a similar sharpener is sold by Oregon, now if that is the same manufacture that makes chains who knows? But I can see the idea behind it, perhaps it takes the burr off of the cutting edge. But I would still want one that actually sharpened the chain where it is suppose to.

Mine is similar to Malardsx2's that you can mount to a 4x4 or just lock it up into a vice and then sharpen the chain properly. I have used various sharpeners out in the woods but nothing beats the old round file of the proper size.

They have a video on Northern Tools site that explains how it works

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I checked them out on YouTube and all I can say 100% for sure is that the goons using this sharpener are people I do not "identify with" and most of which have no business running a chainsaw in the first place.

I especially liked the one idiot who was bragging about his sharpener while demonstrating how stupid he was by filling his sneakers with wood shavings....haha

Life is such a struggle bus for some people...Good times. lol

Reactions: Johnbud and JimP

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Glad it’s not just a scam type sharpener. Definitely not something I’m going to buy. Been interesting learning about the different stuff out there.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I quit sharpening my chains a long time ago.. For $3, my Stihl dealer sharpens them way sharper than I can get them, and I can have them resharpened quite a few times. Time is money, and not sharpening chains saves my delicate fingers.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The nearest shop to me charges $20 for a 20 inch chain the last time that I used them and long time ago.

That is when I purchased a bench power sharpener. For what I paid for the sharpener I paid for it with 2 chains. I have also found that it is easier to just swap chains out in the woods than it is to sharpen on there, then bring the dull one home to resharpen.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I bought grinder tips for my dremmil. Sum bitches work pretty damn good! I would get them sharpened for $3, I just don’t think that far ahead.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My dad got 18 stitches on his knee from a nasty kickback from grinding his depth gauges down too far...

Poor form and leg positioning obviously played a key role in the incident.....lol

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I quit sharpening my chains a long time ago.. For $3, my Stihl dealer sharpens them way sharper than I can get them, and I can have them resharpened quite a few times. Time is money, and not sharpening chains saves my delicate fingers.
Because I don't go through that much firewood at home I don't bother sharpening my chains. My Stihl chains last me several years.
Sharpening chains is quite a bit of work. I consider myself as "frugal" but I find it's worth it to me to just carry a new chain and change a dull chain out for a new sharp one.