Carrying your Bow

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I'm curious to hear how people carry their bow [or gun] when packing in/out. Do you strap it to your pack? Or carry by hand? [Which would mean you must be as nervous about falling as I am and can't bare the thought of a fall jacking up your beloved weapon?]

ckink65284

Aug 28, 2012
Colorado
Bow- Eberlestock butt bucket or Primos Bow Sling. Starting to prefer the bow sling.
Gun- Eberlestock scabbard

(Blue Widow pack)

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I have a primos sling but I usually just carry it ready. Never know when you might just happen to stumble onto a good buck. Especially hiking to a spot that has some cover you go by and you have seen animals there.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I use a Badlands super day. I have an attachment that the but of my gun sits in and the it's strapped to the pack. Works great! If I'm going in for multipal days I strap it to me Alaska Outfitter pack.

Blockcaver

Apr 13, 2011
British Columbia
My bows carry great in the Kifaru Gunbearer under my right arm. I use hiking poles too. Much safer than across the back or on top of of a pack in my opinion. You will wear some finish off the bow where it rubs on your leg. Can get it into action in seconds as well.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
If I'm hiking in to my hunting area or on a long stalk I usually carry my bow on my pack which is a n Eberlestock G29 Tailhook. Also if I get into some hairy terrain the bow goes on the pack and allows the use of both hands. I do have a bow sling but don
t use it much.

NVBird'n'Big

Veteran member
May 27, 2011
Reno, NV
Rifle in my Eberlestock J34 scabbard when hiking in, if there is a chance for anything it is definitely on hand and the scabbard has the tripod in it with the spotter still attached. For my bow I always keep in hand. I've strapped it up in the J34 but every time I walk through some thick stuff all I do is worry about the cam and strings. I really need to get a bow sling for packs in but never tried one.

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Look up the Balcom bow sling. I can't find any for sale online myself but I will continue to look. If you have a cable slide type bow you need to be sure that you have room to attach it on your cable guard when you're at full draw.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
the j34 is hard to beat, i do alot of my packing in and moving around in the dark hours so the bow or rifle stays on the pack and the hand gun stays near my hand;) once light that bow stays stuck to my hand

RockChucker30

Feb 22, 2014
Tennessee
Paradox Gunhook for rifles. Bows I tend to carry in my hand, but I have strapped them to a pack before. I demand fast access if there is any chance I will run into game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goinhuntn

Aug 4, 2012
I have a primos sling, but don't use it much. I switched to bowsling from nap you just unclip if you need to make a quick shot.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I have had this talk with my bow now for many seasons. Its not new, it knows the drill, we aren't at Walmart and I don't hunt with a shopping cart....so why must I constantly have to carry it??!!!!!

Simple truth is my bow is lazy and my arrows tend to follow its lead no matter what threats I send their way. So many times I have gotten tired, told both the bow and the arrows I needed to rest and they were responsible to shoot when we saw an animal. Soooo many times sure enough....around a bend and bammmm right into an animal and the bow and arrows are goofin off on my pack,not paying attention, and when I finally get their attention, I have also unfortunately gotten the attention of the animal and it just leaves. Takes its ball and goes HOME!!!

One animal even had the nerve to show up at the party one day with a gaggle of girls in tow, took one look around and split, and took the girls with him, and I KNOW the BOW WAS THE REASON!!!

So now, regardless of their promises to behave, despite their desires to "ride in the cart" while dad shops the isles.... I carry them, keep them where my fingers can control them at a moments notice.

Since that consideration was made, I have twice now bumped into animals, managed to nock, draw and harvest because I kept the bow in hand.
;)

I mean if your gonna baby your bow, then baby it!!!! Otherwise your just out walkin a dog on a leash!

Last edited:

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I have a horn hunter mainbeam pack that I strap the bow to. Where I hunt, the terrain is very open, so stumbling on an animal doesn't happen very often, but when it does it would be tough to even get a shot with a rifle. As soon as I see an animal worth pursing, I take it off, but that's it. The difference is that we are covering roughly 10-12 miles a day since everything is on foot and no camping is allowed. If I was going half that distance I'd have it in hand the whole time or if the country was a little more dense. I carry my rifle on a sling most of the time even with a pack.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I usually am going in and back out in the dark so my bow is strapped to my pack, but during hunting time I am always carrying it.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have a bow bucket I had made for my J34 and it works great for heading in to set up camp. Once I start climbing and hunting the bow gets caught on limbs if it is in the bucket. I tried the Primos sling and it is nice but aggravating trying to keep it on the shoulder. So I realy prefer to carry it in my hand while hunting.

Last edited: