Caribou Antlers

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Looking for some guidance from those of you who have gone before me. I have been told that I need to remove the antler(s) from the skull, or at least one of them for transport. My thought is to mount the antlers or skull cap on a replica skull. Is there a 'best practice' on removal? How the cut can be made (straight down skull or at an angle? Leave skull or bring attached to one of the antlers for further measurements, etc? I'll take a lot of field measurements and pictures. See below a picture of one mounting option I'm considering, provided I am successful. Quite honestly, I'm not finding much online or youtube vids to answer my questions. I was also unsuccessful in reaching a rep at the company selling the the below replica, but will continue to call.
Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer. 9 more days!

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
When I lived up there my biggest one was an old bull in full velvet. My taxi split the skull so he could lay one antler inside the other in a sand-box full of salt. He left them in there a couple of months and they came out perfect. That still look great today, 30+ years later. He told me they might “make the book” if we stripped ‘em and measured them but I like them mounted the way I got ‘em … in velvet.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I'll start by saying I've never hunted them. I have read a lot of stories about these hunts and have talked to several outfitters about doing a hunt. I remember them saying they saw the skull in half to fold the antlers so they fit easier in shipment.
The outfitter wants them in 2 pc for transport out of the bush. I'm assuming you can ship in tack commercially, but it'll cost you.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I dont know if you care or not, but if you split that skull you cant enter them into any form of record keeping.

Personally, I am no ribbon chaser. So it wouldn't matter to me.
Same here. I'm always chasing something bigger with other species, but this will be my (hopefully) first 'bou. Looking for a nice average representative to bring home. But won't pass a bruiser either. I was born in the night, but not last night! lol

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I want to be sure I cut them correctly so I can faux skull mount. I'm wanting more than an antler mount and I only have one shot at this.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I've done a few whitetail deer using mountain mike euro skulls. its really hard to get the antlers back to true measurements. I pretty much just focus on getting spread correct. I wrap blue tape on both antlers widest points, place a mark on each and take a measurement. I then take a scrap peice of small lumber; cut and fit, to be used as a separator to hold the antlers in place when I go to screw the antlers to mount.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Finally got in touch with a great guy in the shop at the aforementioned place. Very helpful. It doesn't sound too bad, but I didn't want to have to start 'rigging' things together or creating unnecessary work and starting over, etc. if I can avoid it.

Always looking for more tips.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I've done a few whitetail deer using mountain mike euro skulls. its really hard to get the antlers back to true measurements. I pretty much just focus on getting spread correct. I wrap blue tape on both antlers widest points, place a mark on each and take a measurement. I then take a scrap peice of small lumber; cut and fit, to be used as a separator to hold the antlers in place when I go to screw the antlers to mount.
Cutting the skull plate in half to pc back together should greatly reduce the puzzle dilemma as opposed to cutting off the antlers at the base.
Additionally, I hope to leave the skull attached, if allowable, with brain matter removed, to further assist once I'm home.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
When I shot my caribou in Quebec, I did a European mount with one. Just sawed one antler off between the burr and the skull, and left the other antler attached to the skull. When I got home, I drilled and screwed the loose antler back on. If I remember correctly, I went in through the back of the skull, but regardless, the screw is invisible