Can anybody hunt on BLM and State ground in Wyoming?

BuckeyeDIY

Mar 13, 2011
Little Hocking, Ohio
I am concerned that I could be told that I'm on an outfitters lease, or a cattle company has the grazing rights and does'nt want their animals disturbed. Sure would appreciate some hunter friendly info.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
BLM land and state lands in Wyoming are public lands, you may run into cattle. But as long as you know you are on the correct parcel you will be fine. I shot an Elk on a piece of state land that that was 400 yards wide and a quarter mile long. A ranch hand came out and told me i was trespassing. I asked him to call the Sheriff to make sure and he wouldn't. When I got back to town I went by the Game and Fish office and they told me they had received numerous complaints about this hand. Not really his fault, he was told by his employer to run anyone off the state section that bordered the ranch. But I was assured by the Game and Fish and the county that State Land is public land.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Tell them to go kick rocks. That's what happened when I went up there. The ranchers owned the water holes and that's it. Buy a blm map. You can hunt on blm land. They have grazing rights not hunting rights. All were pretty cool about it except one dude. They might try to charge you also. Again tell them to go kick rocks.

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
I agree with telling them to go pound sand but make sure that you know where you are and are sure of the facts. I have faced the same issue here in Oregon and found that what I thought was all public actually was private land that we had hunted on. The issue there was the owner had gated the public road but owned on both sides of the road. The sheriffs office finally took the gate out because the road was public but we had to be very careful to access only the small strip that was public.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
A few years ago some dude decided to put up private property signs all over Gold Island near Parma. Lots of guys like to hunt the deer down there due to the corn and beans grown all around. He managed to basically keep the island to himself for about 3/4 of the archery season. F&G finally got wind of it and had a "hunter" on it 24/7 for four days. When a man finally came to the island and tried to run him off they got him!! lol....the lengths some guys go to to try and hold a piece of pie they are not privileged to.

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
last year during my dad's elk hunt, we managed to put a nice 350" herd bull down, right as we walked up to the bull we noticed a man driving around on a atv, he came up to visit us and told us he worked for the ranch adjacent to the public we were on. He was nice enough to help us load the beast, thanks to my dad the elk expired only 40 yards from a fs trail. Turns out that the riders job was to *haze* the elk back on to the ranches private land for their paid hunters. That just left a bad taste in my mouth since those paid hunters could have hunted on the public as well, but they just didn't want anyone else to have a chance.. now thats not fair chase in my book!

WYrider

May 11, 2011
Rozet, WY
In Wyoming ranchers can get into quite a bit of trouble for telling hunters that BLM or State land is private or that your trespasing. I'm not sure how you could prove it though. Hunters have to follow so many rules, ranchers who try to stop us from hunting need to be punished also.