Cabin Build - Timeline with lots of pics.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
We decided to go with a wall oven, because we got an almost new wall oven and counter top range for free. So I modified the wall to accept the oven.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Rough in electric is complete however we are going to have to have our service upgraded to a 200 amp service from our 100amp service to support our needs now that we are going all electric. We are planning on buying a generator that runs on propane for backup. We thought this would be the most redundant.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Not to be nosy but I am considering a build like this very soon.

Can I ask you what you has in the cement work and the building shell and exterior trim for the ends?

Excluding the framing and inside electrical and pluming.

Strictly talking drying it in.

less than $20,000?

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
The quanset hut kit cost us $8500 from steel master. Its 34x30.
The concrete pad is 35x31 for a total of 36 yards. We paid around $110 per yard. Rebar, plastic, form boards (2x12), etc ~ $6000 materials for concrete.
Equipment rental (1 week) - excavator, power screed, power trowel $1000 (we got an employee discount on equipment rental).
We reused the 2x12's to use as headers on the end walls for the doors and eventual porches on both ends.
Windows and Doors - ~ $1000 (we got a deal on the windows. They were custom ordered by someone and returned)
metal siding, screws, lumber, etc. ~ $2000

If I added in the plumbing (drain system to septic tank), running the water hydrant, electric from pole to pad etc that needed to be done prior to pad being poured we are probably right at $20,000.

We are having the entire building spray foamed for $5000.

We have done everything ourselves so no labor charges. We have an old barn that we are going to tear down and the tin and barn wood will be used for the interior. We already have all the appliances. We already have kitchen cabinets. So i think with another 10k we will have the inside complete (excluding the loft areas above bedrooms, bathroom, and utility room).

I'm going to acid stain the floor. So no expensive flooring to buy.

We are going to heat and cool with a minisplit. ~ $2000

I think we will be around 35k when its all said done.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
The quanset hut kit cost us $8500 from steel master. Its 34x30.
The concrete pad is 35x31 for a total of 36 yards. We paid around $110 per yard. Rebar, plastic, form boards (2x12), etc ~ $6000 materials for concrete.
Equipment rental (1 week) - excavator, power screed, power trowel $1000 (we got an employee discount on equipment rental).
We reused the 2x12's to use as headers on the end walls for the doors and eventual porches on both ends.
Windows and Doors - ~ $1000 (we got a deal on the windows. They were custom ordered by someone and returned)
metal siding, screws, lumber, etc. ~ $2000

If I added in the plumbing (drain system to septic tank), running the water hydrant, electric from pole to pad etc that needed to be done prior to pad being poured we are probably right at $20,000.

We are having the entire building spray foamed for $5000.

We have done everything ourselves so no labor charges. We have an old barn that we are going to tear down and the tin and barn wood will be used for the interior. We already have all the appliances. We already have kitchen cabinets. So i think with another 10k we will have the inside complete (excluding the loft areas above bedrooms, bathroom, and utility room).

I'm going to acid stain the floor. So no expensive flooring to buy.

We are going to heat and cool with a minisplit. ~ $2000

I think we will be around 35k when its all said done.
NICE! congrats and good job!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
We are waiting on the contractor to spray foam the building. It will be the only thing that we will hire out on the build. Its been too cold but hopefully he will get to it this week with temps in the sixties now. My brother in law built the kitchen table while we have been waiting.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I acid stained the floor in the cabin over the weekend. First, I prepped the floor by running a 50 grit diamond pad over the concrete. This cleans up scuff makes, any paint that got on the concrete, etc. It also puts in tiny groves in the floor so that the sealer has something to bind too.